Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible that one type of coral may do better in your tank than another. I have several soft corals; Leather, Polyps and a few others that are doing great in my tank. I bought a Candy Coral and a Bubble coral thinking they would do good too. When they were at the LFS, they were opened up and pretty. The LFS only had a standard hood on their tank and I have a power compact on mine. They won't open up and look lifeless. I have moved them around to give different lighting and water flow, but still the same. I think I am going to take them back this weekend and get a store credit or something.

TIA

Wes

What are your water parameters? Check calcium and alkalinity too.
What is the total wattage lighting on your tank?
Do you have a protein skimmer?

There are easy coral, advanced coral and difficult coral. Depending on the system, one coral will do great where another won't do well at all. They differ just as fish do.

Some Corals take time to adjust. Candy Cane's and Bubble's are moderate light Corals. If your LFS had them under low light they may need additional time to get used to yours. Place them low in the tank and move them higher if desired a little every week or so. How much light do you have on your 75g?

I got my Candy Cane 3 weeks ago. This week it has started turning a nice light blue (from a brown) and small 1/4 in tentacles have appeared. I also have Compact PC's. I have mine located high in the tank.

Quit moving it around and let it get acclimated. Give it some time. I used to do the same thing with corals - keep moving new corals around because they weren't thriving right away.

My Toadstool Leather looked like crap for about 3 weeks in a new spot and only 3 days ago opened up and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom