Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Corals

Well i have a 33 gallon tank with a Coralife 2x96 watt lighting. I am completely new to corals and had a few questions.

I know that I could easily keep zoos and shrooms in my tank b/c of the lighting I have, but do i have to put them higher up in the tank, or can i put them lower like on the sand bed itself?

Also with my lighting would I be able to keep any SPS species? and if so, would they have to be fairly high up in the tank? What about Clams?

-Thanks

Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, with the lighting you have you can keep a wide range of corals. almost any softie and LPS corals as well. As far as SPS look at montiporas or porciliporas. If placed high in the tank you may be okay. Some clams as well. I would stir clear of the super-colored crocea and maximas.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
but do i have to put them higher up in the tank, or can i put them lower like on the sand bed itself?
You should be fine putting them lower in the tank. How tall is a 33gal?
Quote:
Also with my lighting would I be able to keep any SPS species?
I think a few would be OK. In addition to the ones Lando mentioned, Hydnophora, Stylophora, and Pavona should do OK too. Sounds like your off to a good start.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ohhh yea, my tank dimensions are 36"L x 12.5"W x 18"H. I would like to put my shrooms very close to the bottom and hopefully they will spread. With the lighting I have, will the corals I buy grow fairly quickly?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

18" high- Shrooms on the bottom will not be a problem unless they are Ricordia shrooms. Rics like more light than regular shrooms and should be placed higher.
Quote:
With the lighting I have, will the corals I buy grow fairly quickly?
Relative to other fluorescent set ups, growth should not be an issue. There are other things than lighting that factor in to growth rates though. 2x96w over a 33 gal is a good amount of light
Old 06-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the info would anyone happen to know a good site on corals and how to care for them?

thanks again
Old 06-27-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can browse through vending sites like marinedepotlive.com, liveaquaria.com, etc. and get a general idea of their care requirements. A better way to learn is to buy a book on reef aquariums. Here is a recommended reading list from this site: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=17

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com