Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i have a 33 gallon tank with a Coralife 2x96 watt lighting. I am completely new to corals and had a few questions.

I know that I could easily keep zoos and shrooms in my tank b/c of the lighting I have, but do i have to put them higher up in the tank, or can i put them lower like on the sand bed itself?

Also with my lighting would I be able to keep any SPS species? and if so, would they have to be fairly high up in the tank? What about Clams?

-Thanks

Actually, with the lighting you have you can keep a wide range of corals. almost any softie and LPS corals as well. As far as SPS look at montiporas or porciliporas. If placed high in the tank you may be okay. Some clams as well. I would stir clear of the super-colored crocea and maximas.

but do i have to put them higher up in the tank, or can i put them lower like on the sand bed itself?
You should be fine putting them lower in the tank. How tall is a 33gal?
Also with my lighting would I be able to keep any SPS species?
I think a few would be OK. In addition to the ones Lando mentioned, Hydnophora, Stylophora, and Pavona should do OK too. Sounds like your off to a good start.

Ohhh yea, my tank dimensions are 36"L x 12.5"W x 18"H. I would like to put my shrooms very close to the bottom and hopefully they will spread. With the lighting I have, will the corals I buy grow fairly quickly?

18" high- Shrooms on the bottom will not be a problem unless they are Ricordia shrooms. Rics like more light than regular shrooms and should be placed higher.
With the lighting I have, will the corals I buy grow fairly quickly?
Relative to other fluorescent set ups, growth should not be an issue. There are other things than lighting that factor in to growth rates though. 2x96w over a 33 gal is a good amount of light :wink:

Thanks for all the info :D would anyone happen to know a good site on corals and how to care for them?

thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom