Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an overload of corals. All started out as frags and now they are taking over my tank. It is 150 gallons and I barely see my rocks! They are 4 types of mushrooms, bright green GPS, yellow and blue/green zoo's (those I'm not sure I want to part with, not completely anyway), brown and blue button polyps and non pumping xenia. I'd like to have more variety than just basic soft corals. I have contemplated selling the rock and getting dry base rock and leaving only small frags and purchasing different types of frags to put in more variety. Right now I just want to get rid of the rock and replace as I am sceduled to move in to my new house in January. I want to get settled before purchasing anything new. For now, i just want my rock back and to hopefully put some money in my pocket. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Some of these rocks are monsters, some some and all are covered in coral. How should I go about selling it? I'd REALLY like to avoid shipping it as I have no expeirence with this. How would you do it?

Well, since they are sizable pieces, I'd talk to your lfs and see what kind of deals they will make you. Even if it's just store credit to be redeemed after the move when you are ready.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Might be worth a drive to Tampa. (The only fish store I feel comfortable buying from around here does not take anything from anyone for any reason).

I always do as Cindy mentioned. I`ve made hundreds of store credit by selling them to the LFS. Usually I get about half what they are worth.

Hey, half is not a bad number considering I have a ton of it. I'll do it in stages so I don't upset the balance of bacteria too much. Where can I get good dry base rock?

You know I called a buddy of mine that works over there in Tampa and it just so happens that he has a client with 450g Tank looking for the rock I want to sell. My buddy has seen my tank a few times and had told him about it. He was trying to get a hold of me to talk to me about it but our number changed. I am really happy with this. I know my rock will be bought and sold to someone who actually needs it, assuming it is what he is looking for. Not that the fish store doesn't, but it is nice to know where your livestock is going.

Most softies can be scraped off the rock. If you take a chisel, you can wiggle it into the rock and the LR will normally crush underneath. Most LR is pretty easy to break. I have done this many times.

Good you found someone who could use it. I was going to suggest a local reef club. There you're likely to get more than you would from an LFS and it's local.

Back
Top Bottom