corals and anemones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kylebacc

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS says I cannot have anemones and corals in the same tank. Why not? How hard are anemones to take care of?

TIA

You can have anemones and corals in the same tank, sure. Anemones are much harder to take care of than most corals are though. They take and established tank and stable water conditions, the proper lighting and water movement.

What combination were you considering?

I wasn't really considering any combo just yet, I'm still cycling (for the second time, dont ask). Just was wondering if I could do it...so the clowns that I plan on getting could hangout in them.

Thanks!

The only thing with having an anemone and corals is the anemone will roam around your tank stinging anything in its way. It could possibly kill some of your corals. I wouldnt add an anemone just yet anyway. Let your tank mature for a while and get stable, then you might be able to add one. Clowns will host other corals as well. You dont have to have an anemone. My clowns were hosting my zoa's for a while and now they are finally moving to my alveopora. There is no guarantee that clowns will host your anemone either. When I had my anemone the clowns wouldnt go anywhere near it. HTH

Anemones should be considered 100% reef safe for the reasons listed here. That said, with plenty of room it should be fine. I have two in my 72gal reef with no trouble, except on incident where my rose BTA moved too close to my xenia colony...bye-bye xenia.

Back
Top Bottom