Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Corals and their light requirements

okay so i know SOMEWHERE out there there has to be a list of corals and their lighting requiements, or atleast can someone give me one?

i have a biocube and PC lighting i know isnt very good but as far as i know all i can keep is xenia, zoas, mushrooms, and polyps (yellow, green)

can someone link to a list of corals (very complete if possible) of corals that thrive in low/mid/high lighting?

just for now and the future, and i think itd benefit if there was one and it was stickied sometime, i think that would help this site a lot personally =]

thanks for anyones help and time and effort =]

iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I like to use

Saltwater Reef Aquariums: Live Coral for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums

It gives you lighting requirements as well as other requirements.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Books are always the best base.

It is not just about lighting for the whole tank, placement of corals can make all the difference in the world. One of the best tanks I have ever seen was Red Sea Max (compact fluorescents) that had clams, acro, other SPS, and everything was thriving.

I always recommend to step up slowly until you find indications of inadequate light (corals browning out or fading in color, lack of growth, etc.).
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think if anyone is going to keep corals, they need Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" book. There are other books out there that are great for different reasons, but if you only get one book - or have time to read one book - get this one. It addresses lighting expectations for many of the corals you'll find in your LFS.

As fishguy pointed out, overall tank lighting really doesn't tell the whole story. Even within one species of coral, some of the family are more tolerant of less light than others... so it's really hard to make hard and fast rules.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
how do you choose a lighting setting on liveaquaria? or rather a more specific search basis? ive skimmed liveaquaria relentlessly since i started a saltwater tank and admiring and dreaming of what i want to keep sometime in my life (fiancee wants dwarf seahorses and an octopus, i want dwarf cuttlefish and a bamboo shark) but ive never seen how to filter corals by lighting requirements
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Coral Chart

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals, light, lighting, reef, saltwater, thrive

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com