corals died...any ideas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterteejay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank for about three months now and I am finally starting to understand more. I recently bought two brain corals about three weeks ago and they have both died...one last weeek the other today.

I have a 120g with PC lighting that is 65w x 4. I was told by the LFS that 260 was a little on the low side but I should still be ok if I put the brains at the top of the live rock I have.

I had the water checked today and even though I dont have actual numbers for you guys, I was told that my water is perfect and the LFS could not identify what would have killed my corals. I am using the snowflake plankton as food for them and I am running a rio 2100 powerhead for WM. Any ideas?

from what your stating, there seems nothing wrong!

Are u using tap water or RO water?

They need a good Ca/ Alk level. Have you had your Ca checked? Also, they don't do well on LR (too rough for the exterier) as they like a sandy bottom so they can comfortably expand / contract. I had one die also, found my Ca was too low and he should have been on sand. HTH

I think the LFS gave you very bad advice. You have 2.1watts/gal which is a bit on the low side for corals. As mentioned, brains like to be placed in the sandy substrate and not on the rocks.

Also if you touch them with your bare hands you can damage the tissue. If the tissue get's damaged, well, it's just a matter of time. That's what happens when you put them on a lr . The tissue can become irritated and lead to death of the coral. I lost my first brain first by placing it on rock.

Also as Lando stated I think you need to upgrade your lighting asap for corals. :wink:

Sorry for your loss....

The tank would benefit from metal halides - the clarity and shimmer plus the ablility to sustain most all corals. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom