corals effect on pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't need that. If you are having issues you need to test KH and adjust that if and as needed. You can do this with commercial liquids, powders, or DIY with baking soda. You also need to test at the end of the lights being on. If you do it while they are off or when they haven't been on too long your pH will be much lower, you freak out and add buffer, and shoot the KH/pH through the roof.

What corals do you have? If you don't have stony corals you don't need to worry about your exact KH/pH as long as you are in this range.

You don't need that. If you are having issues you need to test KH and adjust that if and as needed. You can do this with commercial liquids, powders, or DIY with baking soda. You also need to test at the end of the lights being on. If you do it while they are off or when they haven't been on too long your pH will be much lower, you freak out and add buffer, and shoot the KH/pH through the roof.

no no no no, im not doing it because of my pH, im doing it because i need more rock and cant afford more live rock at $8.50 a pound, so i was going to add some of this. im not adding it to help my pH, i was just making sure it wont effect it.

Okay, there is a max point and you are about at it.

I would use Feller Stone's Antique Coral to supplement live rock. Most LFSs should either carry it or be able to order it. However, if they have to order it that may not be the best option since they will probably want you to buy a whole 50# case for aroudn $100. Just stop in or call and see what they have. This way you can pick out a few nice shaped pieces.

What size tank?
How much live rock do you have now?
Any other rock?
What fish do you have or want to have?
Are you planning on reef?

Okay, there is a max point and you are about at it.

okay good

What size tank?
How much live rock do you have now?
Any other rock?
What fish do you have or want to have?
Are you planning on reef?

- 2 gallon
- 3 pounds, one piece is pretty dense though, bad buy
- no other rock
- no fish, just inverts
- reef maybe eventually, just mushrooms and stuff

For the few pounds you are looking for just buy some nice piece(s) of live rock. That would be the most valuable to you and your system. I found a really nice piece that had about five different types of fancy sponges on it. Some corals will have some rock attached.

Just go reef. In that size tank there is not really any other options. Many corals are easier than fish and many inverts. Careful about mushrooms, in that size one turning into a few can take over half the tank. If you get some make sure it is a type that will stay small and be able to frag and sell it as it grows. Zoanthids are a better option. They stay small, but again as they grow you should be able to make a few bucks taking frags to the LFS. If you could keep it under control white pompom/pink Xenia would be good. It can actually improve water quality. But if it gets out of hand in that small of a tank you will be challenged to get it back under control. Same with the others, keep it under control and bring frags to the LFS.

What inverts are you planning on?

i was just planning some crabs and shrimp, just to have some living creatures. what does fragging mean with corals?

It means that as the corals grow you take pieces of them and start little baby colonies. For mushrooms, zoanthids, and Xenia it can mean putting little pieces of rock rubble or small tiles next to them and as they grow they will grow onto the rubble or tile. Once firmly attached and large enough to be worth buying, you bring that piece to the LFS for a little store credit (about 1/3 of retail).

What crabs and shrimp?

In that size tank crabs could easily be very destructive to each other and shrimp. A few small hermits would be one thing, but that is about it. For shrimp you are really stuck with one. Ideally it would be a smaller pistol or something like that, but that would limit any other inhabitants.

There are micro fish out there so you do have options if you can keep up the water changes. For a two gallon tank you could do something like get a half a gallon of water from the LFS's reef system. This will keep your tank healthy and acclimated to their system. For fish you have very few options, pretty much just small gobies. I don't know for sure but there may be a goby/pistol shrimp pair that would stay small enough.

Either way corals would be an essential IMO for the sake of a little diversity and actually for water quality as well.

It means that as the corals grow you take pieces of them and start little baby colonies. For mushrooms, zoanthids, and Xenia it can mean putting little pieces of rock rubble or small tiles next to them and as they grow they will grow onto the rubble or tile. Once firmly attached and large enough to be worth buying, you bring that piece to the LFS for a little store credit (about 1/3 of retail).

oh cool, more money for more fish :D

What crabs and shrimp?

In that size tank crabs could easily be very destructive to each other and shrimp. A few small hermits would be one thing, but that is about it. For shrimp you are really stuck with one. Ideally it would be a smaller pistol or something like that, but that would limit any other inhabitants.

oops, i ment to say crabs (meaning hermit crabs) and snails, not shrimp

There are micro fish out there so you do have options if you can keep up the water changes. For a two gallon tank you could do something like get a half a gallon of water from the LFS's reef system. This will keep your tank healthy and acclimated to their system. For fish you have very few options, pretty much just small gobies. I don't know for sure but there may be a goby/pistol shrimp pair that would stay small enough.

Either way corals would be an essential IMO for the sake of a little diversity and actually for water quality as well.

idk if i will get fish but i will definitely get corals. corals actually help water quality?

Xenia can help. Mushrooms and zoanthids will usually have about a neutral impact on water quality. None of these will need to be fed anything if you have other things in the tank getting food. Some mushrooms will eat food, but they are bigger and you should void them.

I think it would be worth having some sort of nano goby in there. Just choose carefully and research before buying.

If your fixture can handle it go with the 20 watt version, Coralife also make the same type of bulb so keep an eye out for that one too. Yes, that would be a cheap, effective way of lighting that tank.

my canopy says 15 watt maximum, would putting the 20watt in there effect it? with the ten that roughly 5 watts per gallon, isnt that enough?

Back
Top Bottom