Corals excreting waste?? pics inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
do corals excrete waste?? today i noticed my purple haze palys excrete something out of its mouth that looks very similar to fish waste. I know im pretty new to reefing but this is news to me :D

49166-albums8014-picture41611.jpg

take a close look @ the heads that are shrivled up :eek:

Yep they sure do. LOL. I noticed when my Duncan whiskers did it. Never noticed any of my polyps or zoas do it though.

TRDfan said:
do corals excrete waste?? today i noticed my purple haze palys excrete something out of its mouth that looks very similar to fish waste. I know im pretty new to reefing but this is news to me :D

take a close look @ the heads that are shrivled up :eek:

Yep ive seen many different coral do it. Makes you think something is wrong at first but everything is fine, just the rear end of the food cycle lol.

This is very interesting. This will make me think 2x about adding more live stock to my tank now that i know coral excrete waste too....yikes

This is very interesting. This will make me think 2x about adding more live stock to my tank now that i know coral excrete waste too....yikes

Well its an entire different thing to say they add to the bioload. Pooping doesnt happen often and the bioload is more based off of the overall food demand and what food is added. Corals dont really fall into that category.

I guess but its something i didnt account for. Just got a 3 head dunkin frag too. So i guess ill be expecting them to do the same....haha

Yep! Its not often though. Can't have too many corals! LOL. I have a 3head duncan as well. U should post a pic of urs up!

Ohh nice you have the branching kind. Mine is the bush kind. Here's a pic of mine when I first got it still on a frag disk.

PicsArt_1344034605534.jpg

Actually I think yours would be easier to frag cause all u have to do it cut a head off with a piece of the skeleton. I'd have to do a precise cut on mine. At least I think. Maybe one day we can frag both and trade a frag! :) I do like the Duncans. Hear they can get rather large though. I have no plans of fragging it untilled it a BIG bush!

I guess mine would be easier to frag but it growing an exsoskeleton would take a long time ive been told. So i may grow 1 head every 6 months...haha. if that

Back
Top Bottom