Corals in a newish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carson24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I was looking at saltwaterfish.com and looked up corals that were rated easy and it said there were quite a few. Should I listen to what it says or is it wrong??

Basically you should be OK but it would be better if you could list the corals here on this thread so we can better post our experience.

don't bother with the chili coral, it's not easy. it's one of those corals that are better left in the ocean. the brain is ok.

what kind of lighting are you running over the 125?
i didn't look at the link to the brain. pretty much all of the corals loosely labeled "brains" are fairly easy.
wellsophyllia, lobophyllia, symphyllia, platygyra, trachyphyllia, favites/favia...all are easy corals that require moderate lighting.

Right now I have a alright light but by the time I get these corals I want to get one of the aqauticlife light with t5ho and metal halide but I don't know if I want to get two 36s or one 72 I thing matnence will be easier if I have two small ones ya know? what do u think

well, it depends. are you going to hang them from the ceiling? if so, the one light will be fine. you can just push it out of the way when you want to get in the tank.
do you have 1 center brace or two? with just one brace, i think you might have trouble lighting it with halides, unless you can find a 36" fixture that has 2 lamps in it.
if you have 2 center braces across the top of the tank you can use a 6' fixture, and you still may have a problem with 2 x 36" fixtures.

unless you go all T5. then you can have any amount of braces.

2 braces means you have to have 3 halides if you are going that route.
btw, where is "small town usa"?
so you are looking at a 3 x 250 watt halide fixture.

Back
Top Bottom