Corals like Acropora!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new coral but I don't have any SPS and I really like Acro but it seems a bit too hard to take care of. So if you have any suggestions please let me know! Thanks guys :)

If you have a good set of lights and pretty good water quality, they're not hard at all.

What size tank, lights wand water parameters? This will be a good start to see what you can keep.

Qube said:
If you have a good set of lights and pretty good water quality, they're not hard at all.

What size tank, lights wand water parameters? This will be a good start to see what you can keep.

Ohkay cool, thanks for taking an interest. I have a 30g, 4x 24w t5ho which I just bought 4 new ati bulbs for so I a wide spectrum of lights. Water parameters are as needed, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate, 8.4 ph. Am yet to check my calcium and magnesium levels this week but I have been dosing my regular amount still :)

I think you would be fine with acros then. Just keep your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium in check.

One of the best beginner SPS is Montipora. There are many different kinds, but the most common in the trade are encrusting, leafing or chalicing, and fingering. With the confines of a 30 gallon, I'd go with the fingering (M. digitata). You should be OK with the lighting, but it'll probably need to be higher up in the tank, and be forewarned.... they are calc & alk hogs. If you have just one frag, your pwc's will likely keep up with the nutrient requirements, but as it grows ( or if you add more), you will likely need to look into dosing 2-part in order to keep up with it's needs. I've got 2 digitatas and a birdsnest in my 28g, and they do quite a number on my alk.

EDIT: just noticed in your last post about "dosing my regular amount"..... are you dosing 2-part already?

Phranque said:
One of the best beginner SPS is Montipora. There are many different kinds, but the most common in the trade are encrusting, leafing or chalicing, and fingering. With the confines of a 30 gallon, I'd go with the fingering (M. digitata). You should be OK with the lighting, but it'll probably need to be higher up in the tank, and be forewarned.... they are calc & alk hogs. If you have just one frag, your pwc's will likely keep up with the nutrient requirements, but as it grows ( or if you add more), you will likely need to look into dosing 2-part in order to keep up with it's needs. I've got 2 digitatas and a birdsnest in my 28g, and they do quite a number on my alk.

EDIT: just noticed in your last post about "dosing my regular amount"..... are you dosing 2-part already?

Thanks for the tips, I've seen monti before and it looks awesome never thought of keeping it though. Il be looking tomorrow at some and il post the pics seeing as SPS is so cheap atm at my lfs. Also, no I have only been dosing 1 part seeing as my lps corals are all beginners and they are quite easy going on the nutrients the only other thing I add is reef roids every once a week and they love it. Thanks again.

Phranque said:
One of the best beginner SPS is Montipora. There are many different kinds, but the most common in the trade are encrusting, leafing or chalicing, and fingering.

+1. If you cannot keep montipora, then I would not waste the hard earned cash on acros. However, I keep montipora under my T5HOs and do not have any issues. I have a quad 24" running 2 ATI coral+ and 2 ATI blue+... Also keeping Maxima clams mid range and squamosas on the sand bed. I attempted acros, but even a little detritus on them and you are facing potential issues.

Green slimer acropora... Very bright, fast growing, sps, and one of the easiest IMO.

Back
Top Bottom