Corals not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have Zoas and mushrooms right now that have been in the tank for about 4 days and nothing is opening or looking good

My parameters are:
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0
Calcium- 500
Alkalinity- 14
Salinity- 1.027
PH- 7.6

Your alk is a little high, and you should drop your salinity just a little to .023 - .026. Your not dosing anything are you?

Nope so would those reasons be why corals aren't opening?

Could be part of it, especially if they were in a tank closer to NSW levels when you got them. Jw are you using Red Sea coral pro salt?

No to the salt and what you mean about dosing

So what would you guys suggest doing and it's a 90 gallon

A big water change to get things back in proportion. Softies don't like alk out of balance.

My tank is almost two years old and I believe it's the Red Sea test kit

You should check other elements like Strontium and Iodine in your tank. If your tank is filled with algae specially purple algae, they consume those elements. Zoas need those elements to survive.

Edit: Did you acclimate those corals and how did you do it?

Yes I did and I did what the lfs guy told me. I matched the ph and salinity and also temperature. Then dumped half the store water and put in my water

A sudden fluctuation of water parameter can also be the reason of corals not opening up or there are fish nipping on it. Some ato that are not set properly can produce irregular salinity in your tank and if those corals are within the flow close to the return nozzle they will be affected.

In my opinion, its the high alkalinity and combined with the higher than normal salinity (1.027 isnt way high but drop it down a notch).

As long as you have decent placement I believe a good sized water change should do the trick.

Ya I think I will do a large water change but also what are some things I should be adding to the tank to make sure the corals will be fine and thrive?

Obviously like you guys said I need to fix the salinity and alk but like what could be causing these corals to not be opening

Ok I will take a look at that but is there anything that's seems missing?

Back
Top Bottom