Corals out of water during water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello... newbie here. I have a 34gallon solana aquariuum... right now I only have a cleaning crew in it (mexicans, nassarius, turbo and shrimp)... It's been through it's cycle for almost a month and a half now. All parameters look good.

Here is my question. I have LR going all the way up the back wall. When I perform my water change weekly I take out 5gallons.. When I do this the water line dips about 4-5in below the highest LR. When I do add coral I am going to have to glue them onto the LR so I wont be able to move them... question is will it be ok for some coral to be exposed out of the water for the 1min it takes me to add the water back in the tank?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 7.2.08 dump 069.jpg
    7.2.08 dump 069.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 7.2.08 dump 070.jpg
    7.2.08 dump 070.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 7.2.08 dump 071.jpg
    7.2.08 dump 071.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 111
For short periods of time (less than 20 minutes) this should not be an issue ,However they may slime a bit and be ticked off for a while ...I have had mine exposed for up to 45 minutes with no effect that I could tell at all . Not that I would recommend it but for a water change you will be fine :D

I've read somewhere that some corals will shrivel up or die if exposed to air.

I've read somewhere that some corals will shrivel up or die if exposed to air.

If that was the case corals wouldn't be able to survive during low tide when water levels subside below them.

I agree with everyone else. Corals are fine out of water for a limited time, 20 minutes or so would be no problem at all.

Thanks for all the responses! I am very relieved :)

Oh, I have a 20'' Sunpod 150w HQI Metal Halide on it.

Back
Top Bottom