Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corals too big, no buyers, what to do?

I have a *huge* kenya tree coral, and I've tried selling frags, however there are no folks interested locally. I don't want to do the cut 'n' toss, but it's gotten to the point where it's taken over a large part of my tank. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? You can see it here:

Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sadly, this can be a common problem with these corals. They can become overwhelming and invasive. I don't really see much outside of cutting and tossing it away. Don't think of it as harmful, just necessary pruning.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree...and it's not for lack of trying. I've posted ads on local frag groups and on Craigslist.

You're in PA...want a snippet?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Last year or so I also had a large Kenya tree orchard ,... like hank said , sometimes ya just gotta prune it out and put it in the recycle bin,... the good point to ponder is that you actually grew the beast in your tank , something was working correctly there !
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha...thanks Yeah, my corals do well...but I stay on top of things and do PWCs every week (about 25%). Not because I overfeed, but because I want to prevent water-related issues before they crop up.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

that thing is huge try fish shop maybe get a few bucks credit not many want it but it's a thought,
Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The LFS where I bought it as a tiny baby frag just a few months ago is setting up a new reef showcase tank (they just moved to a new storefront) and will take it

I'm also checking with my local public aquarium to see if they'd like it. They have a large cuttlefish tank with a colony of Kenya trees...

Tags
big, coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com