coralvue vs icecap MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
any thoughts on coralvue VS icecap MH ( mogul style ) i see nice deals on coralvue but i would like a 12K sunburst instead of 14K. also a 2' x 2' reflector would work better for me as well instead og the spider. if you assemble seperatley it is not as good of a deal. how about opinions on 14K vs 12K?

looking for a some thoughts
steve r

Stay away from the sunburst 12K. They are know to die prematurly and also explode. They also tens to look a little purple. The coralvues are totally redisgend and are now extremely reliable. The 14K no matter who makes it is nice and whitish blue. For the price and warranty (3 year on ballasts) it is hard to beat the coralvue

Magnetic ballasts. They are a Hamilton brand. They can be upgraded to hamilton electronic for $75 each though.

I love my coralvue retro kit. I plan on getting 14k's when it is time to replce the 10k's.

I like the coralvue 14K's as well. Thats what i am gonig to run on my 327 gallon. Thats if i can ever find the time to set it up!

Bit off topic but Darin, have you compared the color of the Hamilton 14ks to the Coralvues? I know on RC, CV gets gets dumped on sometimes due to low par numbers. Seems like some like the Hamiltons.

Just wondering? I really could not imagine more growth than what I get with my 10k's though.

Coralvue makes good stuff! They do get dumped on a little on RC but alot of that is industry BS. There are some large companies that have started rumors about coralvue and the fire gets stoked by a few key people on RC. There are also a few bulb tests that i would not trust, they were either purt on by a certain online store or manufacturer and always favor what they make or sell. Coralvue did have a problem awhile back with bad bulbs but he replaced bulbs at no cost and has since re engineered his stuff to be extremely reliable and high quality. The bulbs have a 30 day warranty and the ballasts a 3 year warranty. For what it is worth i am going to run the 250 watt CV 14K's on my new 327 gallon.

Thanks for the info. Just for the record, I have always supported Coralvue and everyone I know has always said the customer support is excellent. (y)

I would like to get a bit bluer tint and and it is hard to pick a color you like without seeing them first hand. You have to depend on people that have seen both :)

Thanks again.

coralvue 20K's are blue, not windex blue but a nice whitish blue. With a heavy tint towards the blue if that makes any sense! :D

Back
Top Bottom