Cost of a Fish and ornaments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on purchasing a 55 gallon aquarium to begin a saltwater environment. I have very limited funds and I was wondering how much coral skeletons to fill my tank may cost. Also I would like to know of some good begginer fish that cost a very low price, and are fun to look at.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
First off, this is not a cheap hobby. You should know that upfront. It will cost you more then you know. Things just add up. However, you do not need to break the bank to have a nice looking and enjoyable tank.
I was wondering how much coral skeletons to fill my tank may cost.
I would not spend money on these. They generally just get covered in algea dn do not look very attractive. Look into LR as an alternative. Much better for the tank and better looking as well.
Also I would like to know of some good begginer fish that cost a very low price, and are fun to look at.
Lots of options. Clownfish, chromis, coral beauty, gobies.
The first thing you should do is buy a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Consceintious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

Welcome to the site!

Lando's correct about the SW hobby not being very cheap. Price everythign before you start making purchases. A 55gallon setup as Fish Only with Live Rock will probably run you close to $1,000, not counting the fish. That figure includes a skimmer, but no fancy lighting...just what comes with the tank (2x20 NO fixtures).

Lando recommends a great book, and I agree it should be your first purchase. Read it thoroughly.

One more thing...If you are on a budget, make sure you research very well. You only want to buy things once.

Back
Top Bottom