Cost to move from Fresh to Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy,

I have been thinking lately, after having a freshwater tank for a long time (and going to the extremes of having a 5lb Co2 etc) of going to Salt. I've never had a salt tank. Thing is, I'm not sure on the costs from what i have now to move to salt.

I would only do FOWLR right now, then move to corals later.

What I have now: 55g tank, stand etc. I have a Fluval 405 and I have a sump if needed (or can make into a fuge?). I have 4x54 watt T5HO lighting (would have to replace 2 of the freshwater bulbs for salt at some point, but would I need to without corals?).

What I'm thinking I need is new sand, rocks and fish (after cycling of course). How long till I would have to replace the bulbs? What else would I need? Thoughts? I can probably trade in many of my fish and plants at my LFS in order to get the live rocks. How much is the new sand? What kind?

What am I missing?

You can keep the bulbs if you don't have corals but if you do decide to get them you're going to need to get 460nm bulbs and 14000k&10000k bulbs possibly 20000k for the blue.

Those bulbs are $25 each.
You need new live rock, aragonite and livestalk. I'd go sump before fuge, especially if you get a protein skimmer.

You're looking at an upgrade cost of 200-300$

Crepe, 460nm is a blue violet Actinic (50k). For T5HO there are some ATI super blues and an whole varitey of bulbs to choose from.

Smitty, take a look at Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank
That will be a good starting point to check against, but I think you pretty much have it covered. Your existing lights will be fine for now.

A lot of people lately have been taking down their tanks. You should look around craigslist or the classifieds here and you can end up saving a boatload.

Well, right now I'm still thinking about it and my wife doesn't want to because of how much money I have into my current setup. I'm still thinking about it though because I really love looking at the salt setups. I would have to have a major yard sale of stuff first to make sure I have 500-800 before even starting :) I want to make sure I have everything think I need to do it right from the start.

Something else I've thought of was to get an RO/DI unit. I wouldn't even think about starting without one ahead of time.

Well, right now I'm still thinking about it and my wife doesn't want to because of how much money I have into my current setup. I'm still thinking about it though because I really love looking at the salt setups. I would have to have a major yard sale of stuff first to make sure I have 500-800 before even starting :) I want to make sure I have everything think I need to do it right from the start.

Something else I've thought of was to get an RO/DI unit. I wouldn't even think about starting without one ahead of time.

:invasion:

It looks like you have a pretty good start. 55 gallons is a great size to start with. You can use the canister but it`s not really needed. Dont waste your time with live sand. Just regular dry aragonite sand will do. It will become live over time. You can also buy base rock and it will become live over time. As mentioned earlier a RO/DI unit would be a great addition also.

Well, my plan when it comes is to set up my sump (it has been in the shed for about 1.5 years) and get it going. Still not sure what (if anything) to put in that. I was going to just get argonite for the sand bed. I know I can get regular rock and it will become live but how much actual live rock should I be looking for? If I can add 25 lbs regular and 25 lbs live that would be great! (other than less of the neat critters that tag along on the live rock).

I've been looking on craig's list for a while now and everyone who wants to sell stuff is asking a LOT for it, and not parting it out.

Back
Top Bottom