cost to turn 30 gallon fresh to salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover07

Aquarium Advice Regular
How much would it cost to turn my 30 gallon into a Saltwater tank. Not including fish or coral.

Depends on your current lighting fixture. I'd figure in about 600-1000$ to do it right. That's including live rock

the answer is also dictated by the type of saltwater tank. Fish only is one thing but if you plan on corals you will need lights.... For me I needed to light a 120 so I spent $800 on good LED's. now obviously that won't apply to a 30 gallon but the point is still there. I have found in this hobby often spending a little more for quality up front saves so much on the back end

was told a rule from the beginning and its how ive always planned for tanks... A tank with plans for coral and fish that is set up right count 45-50 dollars per gallon. It's a little high but it at least lets you plan ahead for things you may not think of in the beginning. So in your case a 30 gallon think about 1350-1500 dollars by the time you buy lights, rock, sand/ substrate, skimmer, sump, extra power head or 2... It's not exact but a good rule to go by.

Well, I'm as cheap as they get, my 55 gallon Craigslist find is cycled and filled with live rock and sand and I have yet to hit $700. All used, except my powerheads and sand. I bought a new skimmer too and some Dr. Tim's one and only to get me going. I tossed the magnum canister filter the previous owner used in favor of an eshopps 75 hob skimmer for $165, could have paid less online by 15% but was supporting local

And on another note: set your maximum budget. Now double that. Now you're halfway there :)

At least that's what always happens to me...?

Always cheaper the better but if you plan high ands only spend it al you're happy. Now if you plan low and have to spend tons you get a little disappointed and question wether you should have done it or not. Funny how the brain works.

was told a rule from the beginning and its how ive always planned for tanks... A tank with plans for coral and fish that is set up right count 45-50 dollars per gallon. It's a little high but it at least lets you plan ahead for things you may not think of in the beginning. So in your case a 30 gallon think about 1350-1500 dollars by the time you buy lights, rock, sand/ substrate, skimmer, sump, extra power head or 2... It's not exact but a good rule to go by.

Seems alittle steap.. So if i had a 100gallon id be spending in the region of $4500-5000?

Well buying a tank is included. Also as it gets bigger the price goes down because a 100 g skimmer is say 150 for a good one where a 200 g skimmer is 175 or so... If you understand what I'm saying. It's not a steady increase per gallon. The increase kind of slows down as you get bigger. Probably 30 or so a gallon for a 100 gallon+

I would have to agree with Robert. I have a 28 gallon and so far I've spent about 1400. That's tank fish rock coral the whole nine yards.

It can be as expensive as you want it!

Since your asking i'm assuming you are on a budget so here is a rough list:

You should be able to reuse tank, heater, and test kits(assuming you have the saltwater cards)

Rock: $102 On a budget get a good dry rock rather then live I like marcorocks.com. Get about 25 lbs of dry(62 from marcos) then go to your lfs for 5-10 lbs of live(price will vary but should be around $6 per pound)

Lighting: $180 You said you wanted corals so I would look at one of the 120w Chinese value fixtures. Look to reefbreeders or TaoTronics on ebay.

Powerhead: $45 I'd do 2 of the Koralia nano 425s

RO/DI unit: Around $100. This isn't needed but unless you want to lug water from your LFS is makes things a lot easier. DO NOT USE TAP A lot like the Bulkreefsupply units if you want to save a bit there are decent options on ebay for a little cheaper.

Skimmer: $100. This is also not needed but is helpful to remove waste from the water. Can be added down the line also. Several options for a tank your size.

Substrate: Couple bags of argonite $25

Salt: A decent salt mix should be around $50 for bucket or box.

Added up for everything it is about $600

Thank you everyone I was also wondering how many fish would be able to live in it?

Thank you everyone I was also wondering how many fish would be able to live in it?

Do you have any fish that you are currently interested in? We could help you more if you made a list of stuff you think you'd like to have.

Do you have any fish that you are currently interested in? We could help you more if you made a list of stuff you think you'd like to have.

Yes I wild like to make it mainly a dish only tank with live Rock. Poetically no corals at all and I don't want clownish

Back
Top Bottom