Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

cost to turn 30 gallon fresh to salt water

How much would it cost to turn my 30 gallon into a Saltwater tank. Not including fish or coral.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depends on your current lighting fixture. I'd figure in about 600-1000$ to do it right. That's including live rock

Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would agree on anywhere around there and the amount after that is limitless lol
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

the answer is also dictated by the type of saltwater tank. Fish only is one thing but if you plan on corals you will need lights.... For me I needed to light a 120 so I spent $800 on good LED's. now obviously that won't apply to a 30 gallon but the point is still there. I have found in this hobby often spending a little more for quality up front saves so much on the back end
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

was told a rule from the beginning and its how ive always planned for tanks... A tank with plans for coral and fish that is set up right count 45-50 dollars per gallon. It's a little high but it at least lets you plan ahead for things you may not think of in the beginning. So in your case a 30 gallon think about 1350-1500 dollars by the time you buy lights, rock, sand/ substrate, skimmer, sump, extra power head or 2... It's not exact but a good rule to go by.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I'm as cheap as they get, my 55 gallon Craigslist find is cycled and filled with live rock and sand and I have yet to hit $700. All used, except my powerheads and sand. I bought a new skimmer too and some Dr. Tim's one and only to get me going. I tossed the magnum canister filter the previous owner used in favor of an eshopps 75 hob skimmer for $165, could have paid less online by 15% but was supporting local
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

And on another note: set your maximum budget. Now double that. Now you're halfway there

At least that's what always happens to me...?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Always cheaper the better but if you plan high ands only spend it al you're happy. Now if you plan low and have to spend tons you get a little disappointed and question wether you should have done it or not. Funny how the brain works.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_ellis View Post
was told a rule from the beginning and its how ive always planned for tanks... A tank with plans for coral and fish that is set up right count 45-50 dollars per gallon. It's a little high but it at least lets you plan ahead for things you may not think of in the beginning. So in your case a 30 gallon think about 1350-1500 dollars by the time you buy lights, rock, sand/ substrate, skimmer, sump, extra power head or 2... It's not exact but a good rule to go by.
Seems alittle steap.. So if i had a 100gallon id be spending in the region of $4500-5000?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well buying a tank is included. Also as it gets bigger the price goes down because a 100 g skimmer is say 150 for a good one where a 200 g skimmer is 175 or so... If you understand what I'm saying. It's not a steady increase per gallon. The increase kind of slows down as you get bigger. Probably 30 or so a gallon for a 100 gallon+

Tags
30 gallon, fresh, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com