couch potato jawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, so i got my yellowheaded jawfish on thursday, and here it is saturday night and hes still just hiding out under a rock. he didn't even make much of a burrow, hes in plain sight, just dug all the way under my 3 inch sand bed and is laying on the glass a bit under one of my live rocks. and his whole body is in plain sight, not just his head. He hasn't even touched all the crushed coral i thought he'd enjoy that i put in for him wednesday night. will he ever become more active? i drip acclimated him for an hour. and all my readings are fine, a little high on phosphates, but that shouldnt bug him. is he just getting used to being here? or is he just the most boring fish ever? oh, and i saw him eat too. so its not like hes over stressed, he had no problem sticking his head out to munch on some mysid shrimp. i really just think he's lazy.

Those fish do best in pairs or larger numbers.... Are there any other fish in that tank?
They are very timid, i had 2 in my 20 gal fuge and they were timid in there all by themselves. They would just hover over there nest and if you moved fast they were gone. I would get another and hope they find each other. They are a very cool fish but in a tank with other fast moving fish not sure how well they will do.
Good luck with him...

my only other fish is a true perc. my tank is only 10 gal, so i'm not sure that i can get another one.

A fish that size does not add much bio load IMO. to make the fish comfortable I would think about getting another. If you do regular water changes it should not be a issue. How much Lr do you have in there?
With only a clown he should do fine.... again they are timid... I would think about a pair...
PS they are jumpers......

well i would love to get another one, but does everyone else agree that my bio load will be ok? i do water changes once a week, and i'd be more than willing to do them twice a week, since its only a 10 gallon tank, a 10% is only a gallon, so its no big deal at all. but i'd want to hear from a few people that that would be ok first :wink: oh, and i have 10 lbs of lr, and i have a secure cover with mesh over any open spots so he cant jump out, but so that my gas can still exchange better.

oh i didnt mean it that way, i just wanted to be sure that was the general concensis. but it doesnt even matter now. he died today. i just started a new post about it. :cry:

i know i'm so bummed! he was just starting to become less shy too and was starting last night to build a burrow, he didn't even seem to care that i was watching, he was so awesome to watch, he gulped and spit sand so fast!

Back
Top Bottom