Could I cure my lr in a trash can?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
As some of you may know I'm upgrading my tank. Everything in my tank now is to go in the new tank. I would like my rocks to be as matured as possible. It may be another month or so before I can get my tank. Could I buy a large trash can and put my rock in there to cure without lights? What do you guys think about this? Do you think this would work or am I just wasting my time?

That is kind of what I did. I just bought a container from Target to cure my rock. I would leave the trash out though.

You can cure or re-cure LR in a plastic trash can. Just put in some powerheads and a heater. If you get fully cured LR you should be able just to add it to the main.

When you did add it to your tank did it cause another cycle?
Not at all. I monitored ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for 2 weeks after and saw no increase. I actually saw a decrease in my Nitrates. I cured it for about 2 and a half weeks changing about a third of the water every 3-4 days. IMHO I would never add "Cured" live rock to my main tank for a lot of reasons. I love my fish and am very skeptical to anyone claiming their rock is completely cured of die off.

Well I found a guy that lives 20 minutes from me and is selling the LR for 2.29 a lb. I am contacting him to get some rock! I can't believe it.

Yes he does I found him on ebay, although his rating is not good I figure if I drive down there and see it for myself and buy it nothing else matters.

Back
Top Bottom