Could I get a lionfish?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if I could replace my puffer (sadly died yesterday from ich....... just when I got the salinity all the way down) With a volitan lionfish. They are one of my favs. but im not sure if the triggs will nip. If I do get it, how big will i need to get it? The black durgon is ~6in and the nigers ~3in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

where is your salinity at? I don't know about fish compatibility, but if the salinity is too different, it'll kill the fish

slitherbomb said:
I don't like the idea of housing triggers with lion fish. The triggers may kill the lion fish.

lol it's like the exact opposite for me and huma-huma. My triggers don't come close to him infact my lion looks like it's going to eat them cuz of the way he stalks them but nothing has happened and its been almost 2 months. Triggers are 4-5" and lion is 8-9.

Volitans average size is 15-16' when they reach adulthood. I would not suggest mixing triggers and lionfish. Triggers can be cute and calm one moment and mass murders the next. Just understand when you mix the two you are taking a risk.

mysticeel said:
Volitans average size is 15-16' when they reach adulthood. I would not suggest mixing triggers and lionfish. Triggers can be cute and calm one moment and mass murders the next. Just understand when you mix the two you are taking a risk.

I'm well aware of the risk. I've had no troubles with my triggers so far; even with coral as they are well fed

Just make sure your lion is of equal size, and I mean the lions body, not his fins. I introduced my black volitan lion into my 125 with a niger and picasso triggers... my triggers were legitamately scared of the lion and wouldn't even swim within 2 feet of the lion for atleast 2 days. Now they are best friends and hang out sometimes. The triggers will more than likely recognize the posionous spines and stay away. In almost 2 months of constant monitoring, I've never seen any signs of aggression between them

If something in your tank just died from ick, you may wanna put the brakes on for a bit and deal with that first. Don't believe its not still in your tank. I'd wait a few weeks.

The ich may not have killed the puffer, its common for the ph to drop out when doing a hypo treatment

Back
Top Bottom