Could i keep this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My dad was traveling back from Florida and he stopped in Louisiana for gas(i think) and found a pretty shell on the concrete he picked it up and inside there was a hermit crab! He says it's about 2-3 inches, I haven't seen it yet but I'll post a pic when I do. Could I add him into my 75 gallon?
Should I treat him with something first?

If he found it by the road it's probably a land hermit crab like the kind you find in pet stores that don't live in water. I'm 99% percent sure it would drown if you kept it submerged too long . Unless someone else who is an expert on these animals chimes in and says you can I'd LEave him out of the tank. :)

There are about a million types of hermit crabs. Many can live underwater fine. The big ones can be quite a problem as they are into everything. Don't think I would recommend.

Last edited:
Gregcoyote said:
There are about a million types of hermit crabs. Most can live underwater fine. The big ones can be quite a problem as they are into everything. Don't think I would recommend.

They are many differnt types both land hermits and water.

I'm pretty sure the land version can not live underwater. If it was on road and alive, i am guessing thats what it is. Actually used to have a couple. Interesting critters. I'd buy a little tank and keep him. They have stuff for them at places like PetSmart and Petco.

He said he has barnacles in his shell so he must've been in the ocean to get those

or he found the shell he's in in his travels lol ,
if you don't know where it's from why even take a risk it's not worth it

If it was on the prowl on terraferma he is most likely a land hermit. They make neat pets, I had some as a kid. Just don't submerge it as it will likely drown.

He said that it looked like someone had just left him there, and the barnacles on him are no longer living, so is he definitely a land? If so, what should I do with him?

Here he is

Attachments

• image-3195119675.jpg
    image-3195119675.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 118
armyman16 said:
Here he is

Put him in a 10 gallon with some sand couple pieces of wood they love to climb.. buy a couple shells a couple bigger a couple smaller you can take sea shells turn them up side down use for water and food.. they will eat jyst about any thing.

I think they like fresh fruit and veggies like grapes cut in half. You can also buy hermit crab specific foods. They are pretty hardy and need to have a variety of shells to choose from. It is also beneficial to mist them/ their enclosure to keep them humid. Good luck with your new pet! :)

Back
Top Bottom