Could I or SHOULD I get a puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 90g has been up for at least 6 months and I am still looking to finish the stocking of it. I was going to add a white tail bristletooth tang but I've been on the waiting list since before last Christmas so that fish isn't looking like it's going to happen. :-(

I kind have been considering puffers, particularly the porcupine brown ones, the guys that look like little puppy dogs with their big eyes?

Just not sure if my current stocking will get along with him though. I was also considering a harlequin tusk but the puffer might be a better option, lol, I think anyways.

The current stock of the 90g is:

flame hawk
coral hogfish
blue headed wrasse
red coris wrasse
sixline wrasse
one b&w clown
engineer goby
big eye squirrel fish

I have no inverts other than an urchin, not sure if a puffer will try to eat him. lol

So what is the general consensus? Is it a good fish to add or am I asking for trouble? Anything else I need to know about this puffer before I decide?

Thanks guys, if you have any opinion or experience on this please post, I am hoping to place a fish order in the next day or two. :-D

Thanks so much for your input, I really need help on this one, hehe, I know nothing about puffers.

I wouldn't put a porc puffer in there unless you just want to grow him out in there . A bird beak burr fish looks similar but they are very nippy and they are recommend a 90 alone . Look at Toby type puffer like the blue hawaiian , valentini , there are plenty others too.

I'm not sure i understood, is the 90g too small long term for the puffer I am interested in? if so by how much would you say?

I looked at the toby's and other tiny ones and they just dont have the appeal of the porc. :)

I was just looking uop some info on these guys and it says they can get to a foot long. :-( But live aquaria recommends a 180g tank, it doesnt mention that they need the swim room so why such a large tank recommendation?

You won't find info on a bird beak burrfish on la. The porcupines can max out at 19 inches. Usually then get a little over 10 inches in captivity and about the size of a football. They need a good amount of turning room and they are terribly messy hence the recommendation on 180 gallons.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Porcupine Puffer

This is the guy I'm looking at. :)

How much turning room does it actually need then? I';m not too worried about the bioload as i can change out the water daily if thats what it took. lol well not really, but you get my point.

I'm trying to see if it's viable, i tend to go out of my way with my tanks if the need is there so the messy part isn't really a problem. What does concern me is the turning radius, the 90g is 18 inches front to back so that sounds like it might be iffy. The 10 inch length also should be fine in a 4 foot tank I would think, but again I have no idea about puffers and their habits.

how big is your tank honda and how big is porc?

Yea that's the same one I have. My tank is a 180 and he is 6 inches so far.Think of it this way . Porcs can't bend . So turning is very hard and takes up room . It would be very hard for a foot long puff to turn once you account for the space the rocks take up .

Have you seen it inflate before? I had a dogface puffer once and it only inflated several times but after seeing just how much it can increase in size you could see why even in a 180 an inflated puffer takes up much of the space.

How about a Green spotted puffer? You might have to grow him out though because you may only be able to find them small. I love mine.

24" turning radius. They are very wide. I would not keep a porc as a singleton in a 90g.

Hi Carey,

I've been thinking of a puffer too they have one at my lfs and it's lovely.

Doing some research they like to eat crabs snails shrimp and can even nip at corals.

I'm sure people will have different opinions but it kinda put me off a little

Andi

I would want a saltwater puffer but they get bigger than most freshwater puffers.

Well my dream of getting this guy has been dashed. :-(

LOL Oh well, I'll find something else to stock I suppose. Thank you all for your help and information, if I hadnt asked I may have gone ahead and gotten one. That sounds like it could have been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom