could it have possibly went this quick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe-joe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank has only been set up for 1 week.Last monday(1 week ago) I set up my 30gal tank and 20 gal sump/fuge,I filled it with ro water and brought the temp up to 78.Tuesday I added my salt and got it to 1.022 and put in 1 raw shrimp.Thursday I added 40#'s of good quality fully cured live rock and a ball of macro algae to the fuge.On Sat. I tested the water and had readings of am. 2.5ppm,nitrate 5.0ppm,nitrite .2ppm,ph 8.2.I figured all was on it's way,good.
Now today after only 2 days i thought I'd test again and get slightly higher readings but to my surprise this is what have.AM .25ppm,nitrite .05 ppm,nitrate 2.5 ppm,ph 8.4,sg 1.022,alk. 2.3 mil per liter.Could my tank have possibly started to cycle down already?If so is because of the good live rock or what?
Oh yea I have 3in. of agro. sand in the main tank(no seed sand) and about 3in. in the fuge also.I am running my Aqua C and it's pulling very little stuff out,watery and light brown.Am I close to being good already or should i do something else?This seems very strange from all Ive read over the last few months.Sorry for the long post. :oops:

With good cured live rock, sometimes you see no cycle at all. So yes, it's very possible. :D

That is good news for me as well, as my tank showed similar readings after only a week. It has been up for just over a month now and things are progressing well! I too spent the extra money for fully cured LR that had life on it to help speed the cycle up.

GREAT!!!!

Don't add anything til your ammonia and nitrites are a 0. Then you'll want to do a partial water change before you can add a few clean up critters and a fish or two. Add fish slowly, one every two weeks or so, so your tank has time to adjust to the added bioload. This gives you a nice QT time as well. This is the same for your clean up crew. Add them slowly as you need them so there is enough food to go around. Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom