could yellow tangs be compatible with a blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfer1712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gal. long fish only aquarium. I'm looking for a new fish. I already have two perc. clownfish, a yellow tang, and a coral beauty dwarf angel. I ve always liked the blue tangs.

Would a blue tang be compatible with the yellow tang? I know i have read that tangs dont mix with other tangs but i also heard that this combination might work.

Please help me! :D

I have a blue and a yellow together and I have not had a problem for the 5 months they have been together. My tank is a 60 gallon and the fish are small, less than 3 inches. In the future I am moving them to a 175 so they will have plenty of room as adults.

I would think you would be okay. The yellow might pick on your new fish for a couple of days. If it does not stop, try rearranging the rock and decorations. That will ussually help. Remember to QT your bllue tang for a few weeks. They are ich magnets. Good luck...Lando

I have had a battle keeping Ich off my blue, and then I started soaking the food in garlic and it was like maginc! Any sign of a little white spot and I hit the Garlic. Next day all is well and no spots. This has been going on for a few months, so I do not think I am simply missing the cycle of the parasite, I really think it is helping cure the problem.

I have a 180 gallon tank with some liverock on both ends and I have kept a yellow, purple, Naso, blue (hepatus) at the same time and they all did great until the "Psycho Damsel" incident that claimed the life of the Naso and Blue (along with several other fish). I have replaced the Naso and added a Sohal. The Sohal beat the daylights out of a foxface that I had to give away,but otherwise okay.

ngry67 said:
I have a 180 gallon tank with some liverock on both ends and I have kept a yellow, purple, Naso, blue (hepatus) at the same time and they all did great until the "Psycho Damsel" incident that claimed the life of the Naso and Blue (along with several other fish). I have replaced the Naso and added a Sohal. The Sohal beat the daylights out of a foxface that I had to give away,but otherwise okay.

Sounds like a fight club.

Fight Club

One would think but really had no probs. May be like when the cartoon charector walks off the cliff, "I don't know it won't work so it does". Actaully had most of the fish 3 years (when this new tank was set up) and a few as long as five with no probs other than the Sohal attacking the foxface (I didn't expect that with the spines and all). And the Damsel Massacre.

It's been working for me.. I have a Yellow and a Regal and they have been together for about a month now. The yellow was a real jag-off at first and had the hippo (I call him "ich" even though he never had it in qt or in the big tank *knock on wood*) hiding behind just one rock for about 6 days solid no eating .. ich would not come out it was scary. So I put an algea clip right on top him and did the garlic algea thing and he finally started doing his thing.. It took them about a week and a half to sort out who was the boss (the yellow). Now they seem pretty cool they are always hanging out together. I would just recomend getting a blue that is pretty much the same size as your yellow so that he is not just totally harassed.

Doan

Back
Top Bottom