Couple coral questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
First of all I have a mushroom that just reproduced and as it was moving off the frag plug I tried to move it and it released from the plug. I used a rubber band to try to secure it to a piece of my live rock. It is not to tight but it is secure. Is there any risk in this? How long should it take to secure? Will it split?

Second I have some green star polyps that are starting to take off, spreading pretty quickly but they have turned to a light brown color over the past few months with just a tiny hint of green. Is this normal? What should I do?

My green ricordia mushroom looks happy but it is still small, probably the size of a nickel, and has not moved at all. How long do they take to reproduce?

My green duncans are quickly becoming my favorite coral. Great color and I have a bunch of new heads coming out of the base

With regards to the rubber banded mushroom:
Take an old sour cream tub (one of this smallish one) and cut some holes in it. Put some crushed coral into the bottom of the tub. Make a little depression into the crushed coral the size of the mushroom. Put the mushroom face up in the crushed coral. Put a netting over the top and make sure that's secure. Put the tub with the mushroom at the bottom of you tank and let the mushroom attach to the crushed coral. Then put glue on the crushed coral that the mushroom is holding on to, then glue that to the rock. In the future, let them move, it's what they do.

I took a small clear medicine cup punched some holes in it flipped it over and used a rubberband to secure it to my live rock with the mushroom inside sitting on the live rock. Hope this works. with the way I had it before I felt it was doing to much damage to the mushroom.

Mine float around now and then and seed other parts of the tank. I suspect you could anchor one with a dab of super glue gel. They really like the shady areas, but some seem to reproduce faster when in direct light and pretty small.

Well they are photosynthetic therefore use the light as food.

I guess my point was that they are large and poofie when in the shade, while they tend to have a bumpier surface and are smaller when in direct light. My red mushrooms show their blue speckles when in direct light.

Back
Top Bottom