Couple of rookie questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SouthernSon

Aquarium Advice Regular
1) Is running live rock in my tank and bio-balls in my sump wet/dry filter alright?

2) Just did a water change and my spray bar is putting out a ton of little bubbles. Is that normal?

is the water level in your sump higher then your return pump?

as for a wet/dry, they are played out in reef aquariums, your best bet it remove the bioballs and just use live rock as bioballs tend to be nitrate factories holding debris that will eventually be broken down into nitrate

Alright thanks man I was just wondering if it would benefit having both in. I will take the bio-balls out now. Also sorry for the real dumb question, how do I know if my water levels higher than my return pump? The return pump is in my sump isn't it?

Oh wait did you mean like is the water in my sump physically higher than the return pump in there? As in the return pump should stick out of the water a bit?

no the return pump should totally be in water or else it will suck in water and air and spit out air bubbles.

are their bubble traps in your sump?do you have a pic of your sump?

I feel like an idiot now I put some more water in to my sump and the white bubbles went away haha. Thanks for the help with the bio-balls too. Is there a certain level I should keep the water in my sump or is anywhere above the return pump but not spilling back into the wet dry filter good?

you should try and keep the water as high as possible, but also be mind full that if the power cuts out you will get back syphoning and that water will return to the sump, so you don't want it to over flow.

don't feel like an idiot, we all make our little mistakes. the bottom line is if you learned from them or not. i'm sure you won't make that mistake again and you know that if you start spitting bubbles out again it could be because the water level is low, mostlikely from evaporation so you'd want to top it up with fresh water

How many bio balls did you have in your sump? I do agree they should be taken out and possibly replaced with live rock, but you don't want to take a lot out all at the same time, it would be better to take them out in steps or it can create problems as well as trapped detris is released back into the system.

Dang....I took them all out last night but I added like 4 pounds of live rock so hopefully nothing will go too wrong....And I didn't mean having both in my sump i meant would having live rock in my aquarium and bioballs in my sump be ok?

I would take the bioball out of the entire system.

I was saying you can put rock rubble in the place of the bioballs.

Back
Top Bottom