Couple Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyingL0

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to add a skimmer onto my tank however I want to keep it out of sight. What is a good external skimmer that I can put in the cabinet under my tank and pump water through it? or is that even possible?

Also, I am currently using the standard light that came with my tank. I would like to upgrade it to atlease a VHO.

It would be possible if you had a sump. The best & biggest skimmers are in-sump models and are out of sight if you have a cabinet with doors.

Were you thinking a hang-on-back (HOB) model? If you don't have a sump, there's no real way to get a skimmer to work under the tank. You may think that you could pump water down into it, and then pump the return water back into your tank... but at that rate, you're best bet is to get a sump (if you don't have one already)

HTH

Welcome to AA!!!!!!!!

Yes to your question....VHO is better....do some research cause most prefer PC or MH for lights.
It really all depends on what you want to do....the kind of setup your doing.
If you have a FOWLR then NO is ok....still not the best.
I have NO too but have 4 bulbs and so far I have a FOWLR. I plan to upgrade later once I have more funds and my tank is mature.
Hope that helps.

VHO and PC are almost on-par in terms of performance. VHO bulbs are a little cheaper though, and both need to be replaced about the same interval (9-12months).
I use PC, didn't really price VHO because I was familiar with PC from my FW planted aquariums.

If you want high light corals, you may need to jumpt MH, with either VHO or PC for the actinic spectrum.

What size tank do you have?

Back
Top Bottom