Course of action when sump is down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am fixing a small leak in my sump with some silicone thus, my sump nearly entirely drained (except 1 inch) and no pumps running.

I turned off my lamp as well so the water doesnt get too hot. Have no corals so no light ok temporarily. Its still warm in my apartment because of summer so I could still run a pump for my chiller directly out of the tank instead of sump - but not entirely neccisary since its just 24 hours.

Most importantly I have a external air pump with 2 tubes blowing some bubbles into the water to give air. Is this sufficient?

Silicone will dry in 24 hours, and will double check for leaks. May need another 24 hours if I need to re apply.

Any advice on anything else I need to do besides blowing in some air and keeping my light off?

I am fixing a small leak in my sump with some silicone thus, my sump nearly entirely drained (except 1 inch) and no pumps running.

I turned off my lamp as well so the water doesnt get too hot. Have no corals so no light ok temporarily. Its still warm in my apartment because of summer so I could still run a pump for my chiller directly out of the tank instead of sump - but not entirely neccisary since its just 24 hours.

Most importantly I have a external air pump with 2 tubes blowing some bubbles into the water to give air. Is this sufficient?

Silicone will dry in 24 hours, and will double check for leaks. May need another 24 hours if I need to re apply.

Any advice on anything else I need to do besides blowing in some air and keeping my light off?

Are you meaning an air pump on the main or the the sump? If just the sump leave dry and let the silicone cure. The main you should have at least 10x current inside besides the sump return, since imo doesn't add much water movement. Also is your live rock in the sump or main?

Your tank should be fine if you have water sufficient water movement, live rock and proper salinity for 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anything in sump that needs to be submerged rocks macro ect , put in a 5g pail filled with tank water and add a small power head , If you have any sand in sump it can remain as long as it's submerged, as for your main tank as long as there is some flow it will be ok , it don't need to be overly strong just enough to move water ,the ocean has time's when the currents are real slow so it's normal , Once you get things back up and running get your water flow readjusted than sit back and relax

Taking a sump down isn't that big of a deal as long as you can move whatever you need up to the display, like the heater, and keep anything wet that needs to be.

I would be concerned about what you are using for CO2 exchange as it sounds more like a bubbler than an actual powerhead. This can cause salt creep and isn't very effective. If the only movement in the tank is coming from your return of the sump, you really need to invest in a powerhead so you can get co2 out and oxygen into the system. Though it is only 24 hours, I'm sure things will be fine until you get the sump back up and running...it is more of a long term thing that will need addressed.

Thanks. Have air pump in the main. live rock in the main. will turn on my circulation pump - forgot about that one - thanks.

sump just a wet dry trickle filter and protein skimmer. pump for chiller inside the sump. external return pump and external pump for uv. the external fixing from sump to uv pump was the one leaking. really hope this silicone does the trick or else i might have to get a brand new sump or take down my tank for good. :(

Are you meaning an air pump on the main or the the sump? If just the sump leave dry and let the silicone cure. The main you should have at least 10x current inside besides the sump return, since imo doesn't add much water movement. Also is your live rock in the sump or main?

Your tank should be fine if you have water sufficient water movement, live rock and proper salinity for 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

One thing you want to avoid is putting silicon over top existing silicon. If it is leaking from a corner, just take the entire corner strip off and redo it.

this stuff is amazing. such a life saver. only 5 bucks too

Attachments

• pACE3-1189037enh-z7.jpg
    pACE3-1189037enh-z7.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom