Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
so what if i just took that plastic peice totally of the glass canopy, I's say its a good two inches wide that runs the length of the tank, is this enough for the exchange, i also have a HOB skimmer, does this help as well. The only reason is my cat can jump on top and i dont want his hair to get in the tank. What do you think?

50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Can you have lights that have nothing between them and the water?

55g cycled. 15g sump, refugium, lr rubble, mag 7, Maxi-Jet 1200. 36lbs hirocks.com, 20# keys 20# gulf lr.com to arrive on Wensday!

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As long as the actual bulbs are not exposed it is ok. My light fixture has a lens and that is the only thing between the bulbs and water. If no lens or top than water can splash onto hot bulbs cracking them. It also helps to keep glass out of the tank if a bulb does break for some reason
Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I already had two jumpers, a yasha goby and my firefish which I saw jump out. I saved the firefish. And I still don't use eggcrate or cover for my tank. I'm with lando on this one. The eggcrate will diffuse some of my precious light.

It would be recommended to have a splash gaurd to protect the light bulb and wires from water and saltcreep. Wouldn't want to burn down your home. Most lighting setups come with a splash guard.

Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com