covering tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
is it better to have your tank covered ?
or could you really just leave it uncovered.. this is just a question that has always lingered in my mind.. i see tanks all the time uncovered and it makes me wonder..

does this just add to evaporation if its uncovered or what ?

Covered tanks can build up CO2 which will lower pH. Uncovered will have better gas exchange but increased evaporation (depending on light and humidity of the room). Covers also keep the fish in (jumpers or escape artist).

I had to remove my glass tops to improve gas exchange. Many people do this and replace it with eggcrate to keep the jumpers in.

Eggcrate is a lighting cover with 1x1in squares that is used as a parabolic reflector for 2x4ft light fixtures.

I prefer the topless method. Better gas exchange and better light penetraton to my tank. My corals prefer that.

I perfer the eggcrate...keeps the fish in, and allows for gas exchange at the same time. Glass covers also trap heat in if your running higher powered lighting for a reef

I have a wood cover on my tank. It holds the light fixtures and all. I have recently had to keep it open with props because the lights were causing such a major increase in temp.

When I build my dream tank, I will not have a cover like that.

It also depends what kind of fish are in your tank. If you have a firefish it could jump out of your tank if the top is not covered enough. I have a firefish and i leave spaces in the back open for gas exchange, but they are not so big that the firefish can jump out

eggcrate can be purchased at local home improvement store. Its the suspended ceiling tile that looks like a grid come in white and silver. Get the white, the silver paint eventually flake and end up in your tank.

so what if i just took that plastic peice totally of the glass canopy, I's say its a good two inches wide that runs the length of the tank, is this enough for the exchange, i also have a HOB skimmer, does this help as well. The only reason is my cat can jump on top and i dont want his hair to get in the tank. What do you think?

As long as the actual bulbs are not exposed it is ok. My light fixture has a lens and that is the only thing between the bulbs and water. If no lens or top than water can splash onto hot bulbs cracking them. It also helps to keep glass out of the tank if a bulb does break for some reason

I already had two jumpers, a yasha goby and my firefish which I saw jump out. I saved the firefish. And I still don't use eggcrate or cover for my tank. I'm with lando on this one. The eggcrate will diffuse some of my precious light.

It would be recommended to have a splash gaurd to protect the light bulb and wires from water and saltcreep. Wouldn't want to burn down your home. Most lighting setups come with a splash guard.

Back
Top Bottom