Cowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would REALLY like to add a cowfish to my tank. I know many people say don't do it b/c of the toxins. However I read about the thornback cowfish which stays small and is less toxic. I also recently saw a helmet cowfish (and man was he cute) he always stays a little smaller but I am not sure about his toxic levels.

Does anybody have experience with either of these cowfish and their toxicity.

I have a 90 gall with a porc puffer, tang, hawkfish, filefish, and watchman goby. Would a cowfish be ok with these guys or would they bicker.

Thanks
Christina

Cowfish can be quite challenging to keep. They are indeed toxic, and if it happens to die in your tank, it can wipe out everything very quicky. I love the cowfish as well, especially the longhorn. I have to hold myself back from getting one all the time. If you check Liveaquaria.com, you can read the specs on them to see what they require. I think they would need a 125G minimum if I remember correctly.

Mike

Might just be best to skip, but if you must... get the smallest species you can find at adult size. Then just make sure its feeding and you should be ok.

This info is from WetWebmedia:

Lactoria cornuta (Linnaeus 1758), the Longhorn Cowfish. Indo-Pacific, Red Sea, east African coast. To some eighteen inches in length in the wild. Below; aquarium photos of two juveniles and an adult size specimen in Mabul, Malaysia.

And further regarding the keeping of ostraciids; they have not had a good record of success with marine aquarists, mainly related to diet or the lack of it. These fishes need food, green AND meaty on a regular basis; most are lost to outright starvation. Especially on first arrival, or when you acquire them, it is critical that the specimen begin feeding.

Here is the link http://www.wetwebmedia.com/boxfishes.htm

Kaye

I have a Longhorn and a large porcy in the same tank. When I first got the cowfish he made the mistake of trying to take a bite from the porcy and was almost swallowed whole twice. When the porcy realized that the cow wasn’t a piece of shrimp he spit him out. If almost becoming a puffer snack isn’t enough to make him release toxins then I'm not sure what is.

He also picked a fight with my trigger and lost most of one of his rear horns (which grew back) and caused his front horn to split. It is now growing more like an antler than a horn.

He has by far the most personality of any fish in my tank and I wouldn’t trade him for anything.
lhcow.jpg

I say get one, I have had one for awhile now (and he's starting to get big) and we just added a juvenile yellow boxfish with black spots. They both have really great personalities, the cowfish in particular! He comes over and checks us out all the time, he really seems interested (and unafraid) in what you're doing.

And of course, he always has this "Are you going to feed me soon" look on his face ;)

I love both of them. You can't put 2 Cowfish together but they get along with other members of the boxfish family.

Back
Top Bottom