Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

CPR BakPak2r question

How often should the collection cup fill up? Mine fills up in less than a day. Dark green water that smells bad but not really strong. Also, I'm running it 24/7, is this ok or should I cut back?

Oh, and a kalk question. I currently add Kent Reef Buffer (when needed) and Kent Reef Builder....the 3 bottle one...CA, Iodine and I forget the other. If I start dosing kalk should I discontinue the reef builder stuff? I add the Iodine about once a week and every time every the shrimps and crabs (not the hermits) molt the next day....is this normal/healthy?

I'm in no really hurry on the kalk...just crossed my mind while sitting here....lol.

TIA

Fireman

Old 07-03-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its real watery, raise the collevtion cup up a little to make the foam thicker. Mine filles in a bout 2.5 days.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
How often should the collection cup fill up? Mine fills up in less than a day. Dark green water that smells bad but not really strong. Also, I'm running it 24/7, is this ok or should I cut back?
That's probably a little quick if the tank isn't just really nasty, move the o-ring on the cup down a little to sit the cup higher up. Make small adjustments and wait 24 hours to make another adjustment, till you get the desired thickness of skimmate.

Quote:
Oh, and a kalk question. I currently add Kent Reef Buffer (when needed) and Kent Reef Builder....the 3 bottle one...CA, Iodine and I forget the other. If I start dosing kalk should I discontinue the reef builder stuff?
I would use it on an as needed basis, some find that kalk alone cannot supply all their CA and ALK needs, so when you test if you need to make adjustments, you can use that stuff, depending on the demand in your tank, you may not find it necessary.

Quote:
I add the Iodine about once a week and every time every the shrimps and crabs (not the hermits) molt the next day....is this normal/healthy?
Unless the shrimp are growing very quickly, then no this isn't normal or healthy, I honestly don't know how often my shrimp molts, cause he hides to do it and I never find the molt, but most find once per month to be average. Molting is very stressful on shrimp and doing it too often will lead to their death. Iodine is a poison and shrimp will molt to remove excess iodine from their tissue, they dump it into the skeleton and molt to get rid of it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys....

I'll make the adjustments on the skimmer and cut back on the Iodine.

I notice the molts because both the pep. shrimp and CBS are always out. They immediately come to the front of the tank when I approach. Very friendly guys.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com