Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
CPR overflow question

Is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

the same thing as this (just with smoke arcylic)?:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=CR1513

Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep... same design. The smoke will help keep algae down. The only difference might be cheaper materials, but not having seen either in person, the choice is up to you. Only negative part I see about that style is that air bubbles tend to gather at the top and can fail if you don't regularly keep the unit free of deterius and make sure to flush it out so there is no air.

You can also modify it with an air tubing release hooked up to a venturi valve of a PH... but that will come later. Let us know which one you choose!

Old 02-24-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
I would have to buy a vacuum pump with either one. I don't know a hole lot about overflows (first sump/fuge) are the u-tubes better? I choose to go with these because there is no chance of siphon break because it has it's own pump. am I mistaken?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It has its own pump? You sure? Those usually work off of gravity, where the water creates a siphon that pulls water down into your sump. What causes a siphon to break is air. If air is introduced into the siphon and isn't cleared out, it will break your siphon potently causing your tank to overflow.

U-tubes can also gather air pockets, but in my experience it is very not-often, especially if you have two u-tubes in one overflow for redundancy.

FYI, in a traditional sump/overflow box setup, the only pump that is needed is a return pump that can pump LESS than the overflow box can drain. No 2nd pump is needed to bring water down from your tank to your sump. (a pump for a skimmer might also be there, but again, that's a part of the skimmer assembly, not your general sump).
Old 02-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok i just wasn't sure becuse if you look at the marine depot site the under related items it has a vacuum pump and I assumed that went with the overflow box. if I wrong serves me right, you know what happens when you assume.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

would you recomend a u-tube or have you had any experience with the cpr overflows?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

so does the cpr unit work without the pump? also I have a mag 7 return pump would a need a higher rated overflow box or should I get a lower rated return pump?

here are my specs:

Tank: 46 gal bow front

Lighting: Coralife aqualight 36" 2x96 compact strip light w/2 lunar lights

Protien Skimmer: Aqua C Remora w/ maxi-jet 1200

Heater: 2 150 watt

Filtration: Live rock (70-80 lbs including base rock) and live sand (3"-4")

Sump/Fuge: 20-30 gal
600 gph overflow box
Mag 7 return pump
Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

couldn't I just put a ball valve on the return pump tube to elimate this problem?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The CPR overflows have a connection for an airline at the top of the siphon tube. This is attached to either an Aqualifter pump or to the venturi on a strong powerhead. The purpose of this is to remove air that gets into the siphon. This will work fine as long as your air removal mechanism doesn't fail...if it does and air is allowed into the siphon tube, it will build up in there until the siphon is broken and water will then hit the floor. While I have no personal experience with the Aqualifter pump, I have to wonder what kind of equipment you're getting for the price (less than $20, I think?). If I was going to go with a CPR design overflow, I would only use a Maxi Jet 1200 for air removal...they are notorious for running forever. One other thing you'll need to do is periodically clean or replace the airline. If it's exposed to light, algae will grow in there and clog it. My personal preference is a U tube overflow because: 1) They work 2) You eliminate one variable that could cause the siphon to break. JMHO.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice. What do you think about the gph situation would a 600 gph overflow work with a 700 gph return pump?

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com