Crab trap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i have added my liverock.com rock to the main tank and i think i still have some crabs in the rock. for a home made trap do i just take a cup and a raw shrimp and put it in the cup nexted to a rock and wate till i catch some thing? i also put a rock in the bottom to hold it down.

Use a tall drinking glass. Make sure it stays upright and is proped against the rock so the crab can climb in. The glass needs to be tall enough so the crab cannot climb out again. They are very poor swimmers so that will not be a concern.

Cheers
Steve

I'd try to net it to the bottom of the glass or secure it pretty good so your cleaner doesn't swim in and take it :wink:

jamal-188 said:
I'd try to net it to the bottom of the glass or secure it pretty good so your cleaner doesn't swim in and take it :wink:
Good point. One thing I've tried in the past is cut the top of a 1 lt soda bottle and puncture a hole in the bottom. You can easily secure the bait with a piece of string. Just be sure you add some weight or the bottle will float away :wink:

Cheers
Steve

well i just got up and there ws about 6 hermit crabs and one crabs. i think it was the one i was trying for. i put a full peace of shrimp in there so nothign is going to pull it out. i also had a peace of live rock in the bottom for weight. now i wonder how many more are in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom