Crabs......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panza

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought 2 hermit crabs and an emerald crab i know the hermits need extra shells to grow into but does the emerald need more shells to grow into?

oh ya one more thing i also bought a coral and right now its all squeezed in and how long does it normally take for it to open up

Do you know the requirements for that coral? If not you shouldn't have purchased it.

It is a Sun Coral which isn't kept alive by light but by feeding daily with mysis. As far as it opening up what are your water parameters?

i guess i dont know the "requirements" for that coral

the guy at the store dint tell me to do anything special to it

maybe thats not what it is idk it just kinda looks like that but if it is how do i keep it alive

If it is a sun coral then it prefers to not be under direct light. Feed it at least weekly with mysis or brine shrimp. You will also notice it opening up at night when the lights are off.

Melevsreef.com - Suncoral

Check there for more info and see what others have done with theirs.

ok lol im a newbie when it comes to fish tanks so...

#1 what is mysis

#2 when u say it doesnt like direct light should i ever have the lights on in the day?

and #3 when u sed feed it with brineshrimp isnt there a little bit of that mixed in with the marine cuisiune cause thats what i feed my fishies

1. mysis is just another kind of small shrimp like brine but it has more nutrition to it
2. it is a non-photosynthetic coral which means it doesn't use light to produce energy. That doesn't mean it doesn't like light. They won't be bothered by you keeping your lights on during the day.
3. any kind of small meaty foods that will fit into the mouths of the polyp will be fine for food

If this is in your 14 you are going to want to be careful to watch your water parameters with all the feeding you will be doing to keep this coral going. They like to be feed once a week more if possible. I was feeding mine every day when i first got it to help it bounce back from being fragged. You can get a small dish of some kind and take the coral out with some water from the main tank and feed it in there so it doesn't leave so much left over food in the tank.

I don't mean to be rude but you really should try and resist buying things you don't know about. have the LFS put it on hold for you and go home and do a little research or ask questions here. People will be able to help you out and then you can go back and pick it up. It will save you a lot of head aches and probably a lot of money in the end.

ok thank you for that

and is thur a certain way i have to feed it or can i just put the food in the tank like i normally do to feed my fish

read over that link to melevsreef that onitweak gave you. He has an entire page devoted to the care of this particular coral. Including a few tips for feeding it. It is a beautiful coral but it does take a bit of time and work.

You might want to make sure your LFS can tell you about your purchases before you buy them.

More advice would also be when purchasing something not only ask for the generic name but the Scientific name. Makes telling things apart much easier when things look a lot alike.

yeh but i dont think mine isnt a suncoral because everything ive read is the exact opposite like when i turn the moonlight on it closes and when i turn the regular light on it opens

A word of advice my friend, before you purchase anything you should know what its requirements are and read a little on it. I know that when something at the LFS catches your eye, you want to take it home. Trust me it happens to me. The best thing to do is do a little research on it. :)

ok thanks but wait heres a picture of the actual coral so could anyone tell me if this really is a sun coral..............

Attachments

• ok 002.jpg
    ok 002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 60
That is not a sun coral. That looks like what is described as a yellow colony polyp on liveaquaria. Easy to care for. Doesn't require the hand feeding that a sun coral does. Just needs decent light.

Back
Top Bottom