Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Crabs in a reef tank ok?

I currently have a fo/lr 90g.My clean up crew consists of crabs and snails.I have about five or six small blue legged and six or seven larger hermits.

Is this going to be a problem when I add coral?

50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
The larger ones will probably knock over your LR and corals. I have the blue legged ones and have never seen any problems

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
As long as you stick with small reef hermits (blue-legged or scarlet) you should be fine. Other cool crabs include emeralds, porcelin or strawberry crabs for variety. All are generally reef safe.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Blue legs will kill snails for their shells. I like scarlets better.
angelscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
All the hermits will kill snails for their shells, if you don't have any shells available for them. Scarlets are better than most for NOT killing snails.

I would stick with any of the hermits that stay very small. Any hermit that gets bigger than an inch or so will normally 'change behavior' and become a pest, and blue legs and scarlets are better than most for being 'good' crabs. You can also try haloween hermits if you can afford them - they are awesome looking hermits.

Emerald crabs are excellent for the reef, they love hair algae. I have found that they can get rather large and strong too, and will knock over stuff not secured well.

Any crab that has red eyes should be avoided, as a rule (even if tiny) they will eat corals.

As a general rule, all the crabs fall into the 'watch closely' catagory with the only exception the filter feeding sandcrabs and porcelan crabs - these will have net-like mouth parts and will never pick on corals or fish.

If I were you, I would ditch the larger hermits at the LFS for something else. I have also seen larger hermits kill and eat smaller ones as well as any fish they can catch.
abnmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

crab, crabs, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com