Crabs In Reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know there is a lot of discussion about this, but I wanted to get some more ideas. I am setting up a clean up crew for my 40 gallon saltwater tank. I plan to eventually turn it into a full reef tank. Previously I have had a problem with crabs eating some of my corals, but I believe this came mostly from a pair of emerald crabs. What do you guys think about putting crabs in a reef tank? Additionally, what are some ideas for the snails in the crew?

Emerald crabs are 50/50, some eat coral and some dont. One of mine at 3 frags of whammin watermelon zoas before i saw him at night chosing down on so magician zoas. Caribbean porcelian crabs are awesome, ive never had one eat any corals and they filter feed. The perfectly reef safe crab. Dwarf zebra hermits are reef safe and cool ive got 20 in my 37g and 10 in my 20, no problems yet after 4 months.

One of my dwarf zebra hermits
image-4127696922.jpg

One of my caribbean porcelain crabs
image-3779929805.jpg

Some snails are:
Nassarius,banded trochus, margarita,nerite,asteria, and much more. Those are just the ones ive kept so far.

I love blue leg hermit crabs. They do a great job. Some say that they eat snails, and they might to get their shell. One thing about any cleaning crew is that if there is not much for them to feed on naturally in the tank, you must feed so they get some too or they will die.

I had a baby stone crab that came with one of my live rocks, he grew, ate half of one of my frogspawn coral frag and he has been banished to a large pretzel jug and an air stone.

I've never had an issue with crabs eating corals. I have 2 porceline crabs, 2 emerald crabs, 4 hermits, and a sponge crab. The hermits have killed a few snails though for bigger shales. And the sponge crab has clipped off a mushroom and a ZOA that he stuck to his back to carry around.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't say I've had any real issues with crabs personally. I have had emerald crabs, hermits and a Pom Pom. The Pom Pom is awesome and filter feeds off his anemones. I have found the hermits can been a pain for crawling on coral and knocking frags over. Other than that no issues. That sponge crab sounds cool, like a little coral parade.

You do not need crabs and snails at all to keep a healthy reef. If you like them, get a couple/few, but don't expect them to do anything for the health of your tank. That's just a marketing thing to sell livestock.

Back
Top Bottom