crack on the outside of my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i never noticed it but i think its new, there is no way i would not notice this big crack while i cleaned my tank

its on the very top and runs about 2-3 inches, and when i run my finger over it, there is definitely a noticeable touch to the crack, an impression. The inside i dont feel anything

it doesnt look too bad but if it expands im scared

should i be worried? if i have to transfer things to a new tank, how? i cant imagine getting all that dirty sand out and placing it into a new tank within a day

i dont have any quarantine tanks either, but i guess ill have to start now to prevent. I have heard cracking sounds before but that is when i turn my t5ho on and off, i always assumed it was the light but now im thinking it was the tank
img_2274963_0_6610edba85a5fc328a5e00ba11149583.jpg

You should deafinelty empty the tank before it breaks. While you get all you need to transfer your fish you should lower the water level as much as possible and contact your tank retailer or whoever sold you that tank.

i never noticed it but i think its new, there is no way i would not notice this big crack while i cleaned my tank

its on the very top and runs about 2-3 inches, and when i run my finger over it, there is definitely a noticeable touch to the crack, an impression. The inside i dont feel anything

it doesnt look too bad but if it expands im scared

should i be worried? if i have to transfer things to a new tank, how? i cant imagine getting all that dirty sand out and placing it into a new tank within a day

i dont have any quarantine tanks either, but i guess ill have to start now to prevent. I have heard cracking sounds before but that is when i turn my t5ho on and off, i always assumed it was the light but now im thinking it was the tank

My 50gal freshwater tank went like this as well. I couldn't feel it inside to begin with but then it started to leak and could e felt on both sides of the glass. I had to move everything. Mine however starte as a small crack and with 2 hours I had to start moving. If I was you I would be trying to get something setup to take what you can and maybe lower the water to below the bottom of the crack. Fingers crossed for you

i cant set up a new tank right now, there is just no room for a bigger one than my 20

can i just prevent the crack from spreading some how. In any case, what if i go buy a bigger tank..how do i transfer it? i would have to put the new tank exactly where the old one was, so i cant think of a good way to do that

take out all the water and put my fish in buckets while i some how transfer the rocks and sand into the new tank and then dump the fish and water back?

also i am looking to buy this and see if it prevents the crack from spreading
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754549

i hear mixed reviews..i can feel a crack when i run my finger over the area but im not sure how deep it is. It runs along farther than i can even touch though since the black rim at the top is glued OVER the crack

I moved from a 55g to a 90g which had to go in the same place so I could not set up the new tank and start the cycle until I'd moved the old one ! I just transferred about 50% of the water into a spare 4ft tank I have (buckets would be fine) then all the rock at one end and all corals at the other and then drained more water until spare tank was full and then stopes a couple of power heads and a heater in ! At this point with the old tank bare and almost empty I caught the fish and placed them in the spare tank with the corals and rock ! Next I saved as much water as possible from my old tank into buckets and finally slid the tank out of the way . Next was in with the new tank which I'd already plumbed to the sump and leak tested and I used all new sand/gravel and started to fill back up with the buckets of old water ! Once I had a few inches of water I took about 8 cups of sand/gravel from my old tank to seed the new sand bed with and started to place a few rocks then filled a bit more and then more rocks and so on ! Once the fish and corals were in a few inches of old water I made the difference up in the new tank with freshly mixed new water switched every thing on and finally added the fish and the corals ! The final step is CLEANING UP THE MESS !!! my living room was trashed lol ! Hope this helps out it was a whole day job but worth it and I would replace that tank ASAP !!! no cracked tank can be trusted the tank has lost it's strength and I wouldn't risk that kind of pressure against a weakened pane of glass !

I would transfer the fish to buckets using the tank water. Once the water is out take out the rock and cover them with wet newspaper put the new tank where the old one was put back the rock and sand then put the water and fish back. I think that tank might break so I suggest you get moving.

You don't really want to disturb that sand ! Like I said I used new sand and just seeded it with a few cups of the old sand ! I did get a mini cycle but nothing a couple of water changes couldn't sort out ! 9 months into the new tank and no casualties !

PETCO has there dollar a gallon sale right now so if any thing just pick up same size you have now. My 55 cracked on the bottom and thank god the had the sale going on.

omg really? i just came back from petsmart with sealant, salt, and i wanted to get a 10 gallon quarantine tank but they were 20+. Ill check out petco this week

I believe its going on till the 16th but look it up on PETCO.com to make sure u get it :)

Back
Top Bottom