Crazy Clown Fish behavior (with Video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjdiver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone have any idea what my clown fishes are doing besides pleasuring themselves on my live rock? They seem to be trying to clean the small growth type stuff off the rock. Could this have anything to do with them breeding?

Here is a 3.5 MB avi video showing the behavior. Might work best by right clicking and saving to your computer. Hope I am not a pervert and recorded clown fish p0rn.

http://www.kjsnet.com/crazyclowns.avi

Thanks for checking out my post and I appreciate any insight.

Looks like the female is laying eggs and the male swims pass to spirt it's sperm out.

It looks like there could be eggs on the rock. They are also picking at them with their mouths sometimes. Any good links to figure out what to do next? Should I limit the amount of lights? Do I need to remove the eggs for any chance of them hatching? Thanks

Thats awsome!

What is the size of your tank? Do Oscellaris need alot of space to breed??

I have heard people say they have bred clownfish in 10 gallon tanks.

I couldn't say for sure but I was also going to say it appears they may be breeding.

My tank is a 55g with about 75 lbs live rock. Not sure if they need a lot of room as I am a complete rookie to saltwater!!!!

The clowns use to like the barnacles in front of the live rock but recently started to dig out the area behind it. Then I noticed the strange behavior. Everything I have read makes it sound like a classic example of breeding!

Don't think anything will come of their first attempt as they seem to be picking at the area a lot. Regardless, this sure is fun to watch. In only seven months my aquarium sure has been exciting!

Thanks for checking out the video!

canada911 said:
Thats awsome!

What is the size of your tank? Do Oscellaris need alot of space to breed??

Klam, thanks for the great information. That link was exactly what I needed!

Back
Top Bottom