Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The mesh is a hard plastic. Its rather tightly attached to the box It may have squeezed underneath the plastic mesh if so it would have been an extremely tight squeeze. That or it crawled over it. I don't know but its happened twice without any harm to the starfish.

Also I am concerned that if I put a fine mesh over the u-tube that it would collect debree and also plug or block the water flow. If I put a fine mesh over the top of the box how would I attach it and if the starfish crawled into it then it wouldn't be effective and also would leave the starfish exposed to air for a long period. If I cut eggcrate how would I attach it. And if the starfish crawled onto the eggcrate it would also be stuck exposed to air.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with Zagz, it looks flexible.....try the egg crate and make sure it sticks above the water. It looks like your star doesn't like your tank and wants in the sump! LOL! BTW, what is in your sump?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do I attach the eggcrate to the box effectively?? My sump has live rock rubble and chaeto in the fuge with some live rock chunks in the skimmer zone. There isn't a Starfish in Heat or anything LOL

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 10-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I think super glue gel would work perfectly (on the outside of the over flow). From your pics, I think your star is going over the top of it.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Scott. To make things simple, or not, I would make a cover and/or frame out of eggcrate and can be attached by ziptieing to the mesh or drilling small holes in the inner chamber to ziptie the eggcrate. I would frame around the entire section to barrier the starfish from exiting the tank as well (judging from pic). On the center portion of the overflow (where it sits on the tank frame) I would make a wall that extends at least 4" vertically with at least a 2" overhang towards the main tank. So basically the starfish would have to play 'cliffhanger' completely out of water in order to escape. I'd give it a reef cookie if it accomplished such a feet.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I think that whatever you can do to create a complete covering whether it be egg crate or a flexible mesh would keep the starfish from making the leap.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will figure out something I guess I am just mind boggled that it even happened. Dissasembing my overflow and not having my sump running for a while while the super glue dries is not only going to be a pain in the rear but I am wondering if my pods in my fuge will die along with some of the live rock causing a cycle. The glue would need at least overnight before it dried I would assume.

And If I cover the overflow I wonder if the starfish may just crawl on top of it and over it falling onto the floor??

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 10-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Superglue gel dries in a few mins and can be put right in the water. No need to wait overnight.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Ya know, those stars find themselves in strange places...kinda like the fish that shows up in the sump.....Tricky!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmmmmm......Get rid of the starfish?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com