Crazy wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sosalty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been reading this forum for a few months now and am very impressed with the knowledgable responses. I haven't had to post before now because all my questions could be answered by doing searches!

I got my canary wrasse about 3 weeks ago. Everything has been fine with him except one thing. If he is out of the sand when the bright lights come on he goes ballistic. He repeatedly jumps out of the water hitting the grate on the top of the tank very hard. After about 3 or 4 such jumps he goes to the bottom of the tank looking rather dazed. Is there anything I can do so that he doesn't get so stressed when the lights come on.

TIA!!

Do you have separate switches for the actinic lights? It's best to put on the actinics first, then about 15 minutes to half an hour put on the daylights. Sudden bright light would make anyone go ballistic ... LOL. Do the same but reverse for night time. Turn off the daylights first then later turn off the actinics.

If he does this even with the actinics as a transition, how about making the room lights as bright as possible before you turn on the daylights? Or maybe also a longer time with the actinics? Mine are on for an hour before daylight strikes. Just thoughts. Poor thing must have a headache!

...or chase him into the sand before turning the lights on....or turn the actinics on one at a time if possible.

When the guys over at the store open, we made it mandatory to have the store lights on for a little while before any of the tank lights went on so the fish can ease themselves from the darkness. Fish have killed themselves jumping into the tops and sides of the tanks as well as sharp ornaments in the tanks all from sudden bright light. Wrasses are perhaps the most notorious for doing such a thing. Anthias come in as a close second IMO and tangs just zip like mad across the water.

I have heard of people covering the glass of the tank at night and taking it down the following morning before putting on any lights.

If he does this even with the actinics as a transition, how about making the room lights as bright as possible before you turn on the daylights
have the store lights on for a little while before any of the tank lights went on so the fish can ease themselves from the darkness
These seem like the same thought. He's probably spooked by too much light all at once.

Back
Top Bottom