Crazy xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought my xenia was splitting so I put a rock frag up to it so it could move to it. All was well when it started leaning over and a section started moving to the frag.

Well I check today and it looks like the whole colony moved. There is 2 separate sections now but they are on the same rock frag and a smaller on at that. Does this normally happen?

Can I let them be a week or so and cut one off to move it?

If what your saying is a stalk attached to a nearby rock, all you have to do is cut the stalk down the middle. Then you will have two colonies.

This is pretty normal. I have two different types of xenia in my tank and they are both spreading like weeds. I started off about 6 mo. ago with four salks and now have over a dozen very good sized stalks. As they spread all you need to do is cut them with a razor and allow the base to to be securely attached to a rock. Over time they will continue to grow. I have a lot of various corals in my tank but my xenia is my favorite. Like most corals, xenia is still a mystery to most. No one really knows why they pulse, but there are a couple theories. For some reason it does great in one tank and poorly in the next. If it is thriving in your tank consider yourself lucky and enjoy!

It was one colony and now it is two. It split itself. I just wanted it to split onto a separate rock and then have the mother colony on the original rock. Then I could move the new colony somewhere else in the tank.

When this one split, not only did the new piece attach to the new rock frag but the mother colony moved itself to the new rock frag. Instead of 2 xenia colonies on separate rocks, I have 2 on the same rock frag.

This xenia is the pulsing variety. I have had it for about 2 months. I have another colony that has never pumped and has never split or moved. Go figure.

just move the rock frag so that one piece is touching the rock you want it on. it should attach and move, they tend to like to move upwards so put it low on the rock. ive done this a number of times. you can also just cut one off, but then you have to deal with attaching it yourself, i find it easier to let them attach themselves.

I tried using the rock frag method. Mine moved down so maybe that was the problem. It leaned over and started splitting and the before I knew it, the original piece had moved to the new rock as well.

Oh well. Still growing :)

LOL, we low lighters are like kids, the xenia is the dandelion that is a pretty flower :)

Back
Top Bottom