Creatures in my coral?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefa77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've just noticed that something is living in my leather coral. I can't see it but it releases a long, super thin silken looking thread that just kind of floats around above it! Te thread has a number of lines coming off it to give it a comb look. Its a good 4-5 inches. When I touched it it sucked the thread right in again.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

Could you try to get a picture of it? It might help us identify it.

I will as soon as I get home though it's very fine...unlikely to show up in a pic.

Hey and thanks for the reply! Sorry mines so late just been a massive day at work.

I'll post a pic soon!

If it looks like a tiny feathery shelter on hand that goes in and out it could be a barnacle. If you google "barnacle feeding" you can see videos of it. See if it matches. Good luck! I have barnacles. Really fun to watch.

It's barnacles lol.

Congrats on successfully breeding them haha

So I found out the strands come from Vermetid snails! They release a thin strand of mucous into the reef to trap food and reel it in.....these reef aquariums are amazing:)

Thanks for the help everyone! This is the first time I've ever signed up to a forum - shows how addicted I am to this:)

Glad you found out. I just read what I had posted and my iPhone changed my words into something weird. Lol. Yeah those are harmless.

I have one of those that my pulsing xenia is attached to. I was worried that it was going to overgrow the snail and kill it but the tube keeps getting longer :)

Back
Top Bottom