creek rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aborgardt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I i went, just for the heck of it, and walked my creek today. I found a few rocks that are pretty porous. Lots of little and good sized holes.

My question is can i used them in my tank? as base rock? I was thinking if i boiled them or something it would kill anything that might be in it. What are your guys thoughts?

If you boiled them, and then let them sit out in the sun for a week or two to make sure they were really dried out, maybe. But after all that, i would place them back in to a bucket of clean water and let them sit for a while and then test the water to see if they leach out any chemicals or trace elements that might be bad for a reef tank.

You almost need to know what they are made also. As mentioned above you dont want to leech heavy metals into the tank.

Here are some pictures. They look pretty clean to the eye. You guys gave any idea what kind of rocks they are? Wonder if there Is a place I could send water to get it checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-1553778033.jpg
    image-1553778033.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2424033489.jpg
    image-2424033489.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image-70056328.jpg
    image-70056328.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 88
Personally on one of my SW tanks I wouldn't risk it. My FW I would soak them test the water then probably use them. I don't know where you are from but it is always possible pollution can make the rocks unusable for either.

The other issue is PH. I know I added rocks from the mountain in my FW tank before, and the one kept raising my PH to match the rock... you'll have to do a LOT of testing after putting it in some RO/DI water. Like they said, seems like a neat idea, but in the long run you'll most likely regret it. I gathered rocks and other things while vacationing on the beach and put them in my first tank. I had no real proof, but I did notice more algae around those items, they came out within a month or two... Just my experience.

Back
Top Bottom