creepy coral banded shrimp !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twilyte

Aquarium Advice Regular
we've got a pretty little coral banded shrimp.. he's a bit creepy though. he ALWAYS goes for the fish.. none of the fish like to go near him because he like. lunges out of the shadows in an attempt to eat them. at least that is what it looks like. i don't think he's trying to clean them, because they totally aren't goin' for it. they're like "ugh creepy stalker shrimp go awayyyyyy". he hides out upside down on a rock, with his antennae swooshin around.. and everytime a fish tries to go by that area he swoops down with his big ol claws and makes 'em run away. im not worried because i don't think he could successfully KEEP a fish in his claws..they're a little too big and smart. i give him a little piece of silverside to keep him busy most of the time. it's a little amusing.

They do it to keep themselves safe. For all he knows there predatory fish (triggers. groupers ect.) So he will constantly lunge at any fish to show them hes not easy prey. In time he will stop once he realises there not going to harm him.

For whats it worth, mine does the same thing AND when I stick my hand in the tank, he goes into these convulsions and twitch really hard as if he is having a seizure...really funny looking!

For whats it worth, mine does the same thing AND when I stick my hand in the tank, he goes into these convulsions and twitch really hard as if he is having a seizure...really funny looking!

Coral Banded

I had one for many, many years and he always lunged at my fish...but never ever caught one. Very little danger there.

Back
Top Bottom