Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Crime and Punishment - pics

The crime: Attack, murder and ingestion of innocent bristle worm.

The witness: Me

The punishment: Death by Mantis

I'm not one to dole out this kind of punishment based on simply BEING a nastly looking crab. I waited until I witnessed the act in person. This crab was simply becoming too bold and was clearly predatory.

He was easily caught using a glass jigger. I jammed the jigger into the sand bed, leaned over with one edge of the jigger against the LR. The jigger stayed like this for 2 days. On the 3rd day, I waited until the lights went out, then added a piece of silverside (frozen fish) to the jigger. In less than 2 minutes, this crab entered the jigger and was trapped. If I had not been watching, one of my emerald crabs would have been in there also in another minute or two.

So, into the mantis tank he goes. Maybe he could live in there in peace....My mantis is about the same size as this crab...but it was no contest. In fact, it was horrible to watch. It look about 15 minutes, during which not less than 40 violent whacks removed legs, and just generally beat the crab to death.

Until you see a mantis in action against a crab, you really don't understand how violent these little predators can be. Strikes happen way to fast to get photos...but here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0385a.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	476   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0379a.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	477  

Old 01-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
thats crazy. sad that you had to let the crab go. couldn't you take it back to the lfs

Old 01-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well...I suppose I could have. But they aren't going to want a predatory crab. I honestly hoped that he could have survived in the mantis tank because of his size.

I gave him a good chance to live in the tank because I attempt to keep all the life on my LR if possible. But once he got too big and aggressive, he had to go.

It made me sad also.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I caught a mean crab and thought I would do the right thing by taking it to my LFS. All he did was throw it in a tank with a big puffer.....It lasted about 20 seconds. I felt bad and had to walk away.
Unless you have a fuge to put them in, there aren't many options. That crab had taken out my scooter and I suspect a clown that came up missing, he had to go.
Brad, that second pic is a cool shot of your mantis.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Totally agree with your frustrations... and the method was pretty interesting too... lol.

What kind of crab was it? Decorators can be a nusance I'm told because they are larger and perhaps more predatory.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

re: What kind..? If you can tell me based on the photo, I'm curious. His legs were hairy (soft), not decorated. Body was plain with orange patches.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sigh....... i've got two of those crabs in my reef.... they hitchhiked in on rock. they are to small to do anything right now but I'll probably have to get rid of them eventually...
Old 01-30-2005, 10:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've caught 5 of my 6 (why does there always seem to be ONE more of these buggers?!) crabs. Mostly by yanking the rock. I feel like right now if I get one more I'll be happy. I have a local refer waiting for the "last" crab to come out and then he'll put them in his tank. At least they're going to a good home.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bully of the sea. Cool to have a Mantis tank though.

Mike
Old 01-31-2005, 01:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

out of curiosity, what are the mantis' natural predators?

Tags
pics, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com