Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What I dose:

Seachem marine buffer
Kent Iodine
Red Sea salt
Marc Weiss Coral Vital
Reptical
Reef Pods Copepod bags

Feeds:
Mysis Shrimp
live blackworms
Cyclopeze
Krill
Chopped scallops
fresh garlic, minced
Marine Cuisine
PhycoPure

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to zachxlutz
i frequent nano-reef and i keep a 10 gallon nano at my house. you can check it out here.

I just wanted to let you know i'm not a newb so please take my advice.

get rid of the flame scallop. it will soon die. they are filter feeders and would require you to almost foul the water with food to keep it alive.

You could also use a bit more liverock.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks great but I would put the cualerpa in the sump.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

those hydor pico pumps are awesome! i just added to to my 75g. very easy to hide and really move a lot of water. the tanks looks good. maybe like mentioned a little more live rock or even just some base rock.

steve r
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachxlutz
i frequent nano-reef and i keep a 10 gallon nano at my house. you can check it out here.

get rid of the flame scallop. it will soon die. they are filter feeders and would require you to almost foul the water with food to keep it alive.

You could also use a bit more liverock.
Your post on nano-reef.com says you set up your first SW tank in June 2006.

that was merely 5 months ago. Not to cause problems or contradict you, but I would say that you are still relatively new to the hobby. It seems from your post there that you are also still in the learning curve.

My boyfriend has been taking care of and maintaining tanks for 10+ years. He helped me set up and pick my livestock. I trust him as most of the info he gives me is dead on with what 90% of people say. He owns his own aquarium maintenence business and is a manager at an aquarium supply shoppe. Funny, that is how we met .

He told me if i target feed the flame scallop daily with 2 ml or so phycopure (live phyto), as well as keeping a healthy supply of copepods and amphipods, that the scallop will be ok. I insisted on having it, despite his warnings that they are testy. But rather than discouraging me, he gave me the information I needed to care for it properly.

So far, the flame scallop is absolutely flourishing. Tomorrow, I will post a picture of it.

Thank you for the advice though. I do appreciate it.

And I agree with both you and Steve R.. I'll be adding about 10 more lbs of LR with my next batch of corals.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank looks great...I love drilled tanks! And FWIW....my buddy has had a flame scallop for about a year, taking care of it the same way you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachxlutz
Wow dude, you have a lot of sand in your tank....you are gonna have all kinda of issues with that in the future.....probably will kill your livestock if you ever stir it at all or move around LR!

Im not a newb either, so take my advise!

Check out my 10 gal for proof its the sickest ever!!!!

A little modesty goes a long way when giving advice to people you dont know grasshoppa!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDemTails
Wow dude, you have a lot of sand in your tank....
Nah dude that is just what you call an extra deep sand bed....
Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

EDSB

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com