Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Crocea Dropped From Spot

I have a Blue Crocea who did great for 2 years, but his spot in the rock was more a vertical "hanging like a picture" than "sitting on a bed".

I found it on the sandbed this morning , still alive, but its whitish strands torn from the rock.

I placed it back more "sitting" and higher towards the lighting. It is still alive but a section of the mantle is a bit receded and discolored.

Can it bounce back? I think part of the problem is the tank can get a couple of degrees too warm during the summer.

Any suggestions to help get it back in shape or to keep the tank cooler without investing hundreds in a "chiller" would be much appreciated.

thanks..................Jawfishjunky

Old 08-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I hope the clam will be OK but I`m not sure after tearing those cords. I`m hoping for the best. Run a fan over the top of your tank to cool it off.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Typically after the clams foot gets torn it doesn't do well. However, a similar situation happened with my crocea clam, it fell of its spot and part of the foot was still attached to its spot. I thought it was dead, but it was still alive and made a full comeback.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That sure is good news Ryshark.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all your info. This Crocea actually has quite a history. When I started my first reef tank 2 years ago I ordered a bunch of hermit crabs from an online dealer. They mixed up addresses and sent me about $300 worth of Coral and the Clam by mistake. The owner said the stuff wouldnt survive mailing it back, so he let me keep it.
I was in a panic. I put the Clam up on the rockwork, but the next day it was on the sand , half open and unresponsive to the touch.
Newbie me took it for a dead clam. I cleared it out of the tank and actually threw it in the kitchen garbage!
Something in me made me dig through the Garbage a few hours later, and sure enough, the clam was tightly shut! I felt like such a fool.
Well---I put it back on the rocks, upgraded my lighting within the week and the thing actually flourished as the tank center-piece for 2 years.
I also got a Half-dollar size Orange Montipora in that package---now its the size of a dinner plate.
Anyway---the family got a lot of enjoyment out of that "Free Clam"--- so I`m hoping its still as tough as it was when it survived a few hours in a Suburban Garbage can.

best regards---
Jawfishjunky
Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Wow, thats a cool story! I hope it can pull through this. Then again, I wonder what the life expectancy of a clam is??? My guess is more than a few years, but I dont know.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is your tank temperature? Now and in winter?
Mine stays on the sand bed year round.
I have a story about like yours. We thought a bright green toadstool 4", we had bought was dead (it never poked its polyps up after we got home). but the shell it was on had some cool mushrooms on it so we wanted to keep the shell. We cut the toad stool down to the base. about a month later it was 1/2 inch high with bright green polyps all over the top. Amazing surviver.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow, for free!, **** i wish that happened to me. But it would sucked if it was the other way around and i ended up with a couple hermit crabs instead. Geez i wonder who got the hermits you ordered haha. But i'm pretty sure your clam will make it, just put him in a position where he is absolutely still with no stress and he'll recover.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Crocea Update:

OK--I put the thing in a different place on the rock. I set it a certain way---but it always moves to a slightly different angle. I can see behind the clam, and it is re-attaching to the rock with those thin white strands. The mantle looks the best it has looked in over a week.
My concern now is that the bottom of the clam is about 1/2 inch from the rock it is attaching to. The connecting strands are totally exposed. Any other critter in the tank has access to these very fine strands if they wanted.
I have pushed the clam flush to the rock so that it wouldnt have to excrete the strands to such a vulnerable length, but like I said, the clam keeps repositioning where it wants.
For the long run, Is it likely that it will be able to attach itself properly from this distance? Also--is there a water additive that will strengthen the Crocea`s ability to
make a viable connection to the rock?

thanks again..............
Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawfishjunky View Post
Also--is there a water additive that will strengthen the Crocea`s ability to
make a viable connection to the rock?

thanks again..............
Not that I know of. I`m glad he seems to be doing better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com